Clear all

Question for Teachers about Teachers

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@martha)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Following NoteBoat's suggestions, I have been collecting phone-numbers for teachers here in town.

However, before I start "interviewing" them, I have a few questions regarding etiquette.

1. Is it acceptable to ask the potencial teacher what his specialty is?

(If he trained as a classical guitarrist or is primarily a "rock" guitarrist.)

2. Is it be acceptable for me to state from the start which kind of music I am interested in playing?

(Or should I just accept that whatever I am taught is "for my own good"?)

3. I was gifted an accoustic guitar, but am interested in Classical pieces - would a teacher allow me to use my accoustic until I can afford a new guitar, or would he be justified in asking me to buy a Classical right at the start?

4. (Once having lessons) When introducing a new piece, is it acceptable to let the teacher know you don't like it and ask for a different one?

(Or should you play what you like and what you don't?)

Thanks. :D

Quiquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.

(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Martha,

Sorry I'm not a teacher so I shouldn't have replied but as far as questions go I think you should ask any and all that your interested in knowing about.

I would think though that if you are a total beginner there are so many skills to master that I don't think you necessarily have to taught rock by only a rock guitarist. So many of the skills are common to all styles that you can work on this for months.

Then once you have developed more and maybe have a better understanding of where you want to be as a player you'll be better able to find a particular type of instructor.

I liked Noteboats philosophy on teaching, he knows enough about all the styles to get the student playing the type of music they're interested in. But he realizes that they then may move on to another teacher.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

1. Yes
2. Yes - while your teacher may give you something to work on that's outside your target, he or she should be able to explain why it's important. For example, I usually start teaching improvisation with blues. Even if you don't care for blues music, the limited scale and chord structure makes it a good starting place.
3. Maybe. Classical guitars have different string spacing, a flat fingerboard, and the body joins the neck in a 'lower' place than other acoustics. You should be able to learn some things on your acoustic that you'll be able to put to use on classical, but if you're set on becoming a classical guitarist - and have a classically trained teacher - you might both agree that a classical guitar is a better starting point.
4. It's acceptable within reason... a teacher may have specific reasons for giving you a piece, in which case you should probably just learn it and move on. On the other hand, some styles don't really have a beginner section - if you want to learn bluegrass, we start with folk/country songs... you'd need the basic chord changes in G before you tackle Orange Blossom Special. The beginner bluegrass things I've seen aren't very good, so it's probably better to start with a familiar tune (so the student can hear when they're going astray) than something unfamiliar that's 'in the style of'.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Yep, I'm not a teacher either (yet—lol), but I do have some opinions:

1. Is it acceptable to ask the potencial teacher what his specialty is?
Absolutely.

2. Is it be acceptable for me to state from the start which kind of music I am interested in playing?

Yes, but only after (s)he answers question #1. Generally they'll say, “I play X best but I teach A, B, C, D, E, F… “

(Or should I just accept that whatever I am taught is "for my own good"?)

This is touchy. If you're new to guitar, I'd say accept the fact that you will be learning how to hold the guitar and get comfortable with fingerings no matter if you like Metalica or Abba. I would tell the teacher your goals and what type of music you'd like to learn and play. It's YOUR money your are paying to get quality lessons.
3. I was gifted an accoustic guitar, but am interested in Classical pieces - would a teacher allow me to use my accoustic until I can afford a new guitar, or would he be justified in asking me to buy a Classical right at the start?

No comment

4. (Once having lessons) When introducing a new piece, is it acceptable to let the teacher know you don't like it and ask for a different one?

In my first 8 weeks of lessons I learned songs I hated. Finally I told him I hated the next song he wanted me to learn and I picked one from a list he showed me. Be active in your lessons in what you want to learn.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@martha)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for your invaluable input Cnev, NoteBoat and Corbind. :D

It will definitely help me to establish a solid base for my (future) teacher-student relationship. :D

(Man! Who knew that picking a teacher could be trickier than picking a car! ;) )

Quiquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.

(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Well, I'd like to think of choosing your teacher is like choosing a spouse. Okay, it's not that serious but it is quite important. Remember your teachers from grade school and high school? You know, the ones who were fabulous and the ones you'd wish go hit by a bus?

Teachers make a large impact on our lives. That's why I hope you get a good teacher and learn properly.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote