Question on tab +

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@1st_act)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey all,

Got to wondering today while practicing. Does anyone know who 1st used tablature?

(@Anonymous)

The term "Tablature" is taken from the latin word "tablatura", meaning table or blackboard. To tabulate/tabulating means putting something into a table or chart.

The first known recorded existence of musical tabbing is from around c. 1300, used for lute music of three types; French, Italian and German. French tablature gradually came to be the most widely used and developed.

Tablatures for instruments besides stringed were also used from early times on. Keyboard tab came from Germany c. 1450 and was adopted by Spainish artists c. 1550. Much of the music for the lute and other historical plucked instruments during the Renaissance and Baroque time periods was also originally written in tablature.

Hope that helps! :)

Pete

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Pete, you just made that up, right?

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@1st_act)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Unbelievable,

I thought tab was a really recent invention.

I'll pass along another "fascinating fact" I learned today.

Jimmi Hendrix was paid $0.35 for his first gig!

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

He also picked Coca Cola instead of Pepsi.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I didn't make it up, thats all true, hand to God!

I'm smarter than my years, eh? Anything else you guys wanna know? :)

Pete

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Pete

how did you get so smart? :wink:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Well its quite simple, dogbite, I simply...........wait a sec.....

OH HOHO! You nearly got me there!

I know this in particular 'cos I also wondered a few months back a similar question; WHY do we use tab?

And so I did a bit of research, and found some stuff out is all. Looks like it wasn't just time wasting, eh? :)

Pete

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

good one .
I too wonder about stuff.
word origins facinate me.

thanks for the Tab history. I would have thought that standard notation was the rule with classic piano and orchestra.

BTW many of our words originated in Mongolia.

I guess Atilla really did get around.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Pete

OK I have a question:

Geometry sets out from certain conceptions such as “plane,” “point,” and “straight line,” with which we are able to associate more or less definite ideas, and from certain simple propositions (axioms) which, in virtue of these ideas, we are inclined to accept as “true.” Then, on the basis of a logical process, the justification of which we feel ourselves compelled to admit, all remaining propositions are shown to follow from those axioms, i.e. they are proven. A proposition is then correct (“true”) when it has been derived in the recognised manner from the axioms. The question of the “truth” of the individual geometrical propositions is thus reduced to one of the “truth” of the axioms. Now it has long been known that the last question is not only unanswerable by the methods of geometry, but that it is in itself entirely without meaning. We cannot ask whether it is true that only one straight line goes through two points. We can only say that Euclidean geometry deals with things called “straight line,” to each of which is ascribed the property of being uniquely determined by two points situated on it. The concept “true” does not tally with the assertions of pure geometry, because by the word “true” we are eventually in the habit of designating always the correspondence with a “real” object; geometry, however, is not concerned with the relation of the ideas involved in it to objects of experience, but only with the logical connection of these ideas among themselves. Which came first: The chicken or the egg?! :?

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

The egg came first, as each new variation of species is a successful mutation of the parents.
Unless of course, Darwin was wrong, and the state of Kansas is correct ;)

ReplyQuote