Notifications
Clear all

Questions

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@totallyphillip)
Topic starter  

Whats a good way to learn where all the frets are? because when I try and play a tabbed song I'm always stopping and counting to see where like 7 is. Or is it just practice? Also whats a good way to learn where all the strings are? :)
Cheers.

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Practice, practice, practice.

start slow, and s-l-o-w-l-y- build up speed.

Then practice some more.

I've been learning/playing for about 3 months (1/2 - 1 hour a day) and my fingers still don't always land exactly where ai want them to. But I'm getting better each time I pick up my guitar.

Oh, and a bit more practice wouldn't hurt, either. :wink:

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

For the frets, you've got fret markers. There's a double-dot (or some other marking) at the 12th fret - or if you have a classical, that's where the neck joins the body. The 5th fret is always marked, and there's almost always a 'side dot' on the neck to help you find position.

Most guitars also have dots at the 5th and 9th frets, and some at the 3rd fret. A few have markers at the 1st fret too. The markers always repeat after the 12th fret (except that guitars with a marker at 1 don't have one at 13) - if you have one at 3, you'll have one at 15, etc.

For strings, they're numbered from the thinnest one up. That puts string 6 closest to you.

To learn either frets or strings, just pick a number - from 1 to 19 (or higher depending on your guitar) for frets, 1-6 for strings. Then try to find that fret/string right away. After a few minutes you'll be noticeably faster at it, and after a couple days you won't even need to think about it.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

As Kent say, I think it's mainly about practice. However, you may also look at finding reference via the little dots on the top edge of the fretboard. :)

EDIT: Looks like Noteboat got in before me re the little dots. :)

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote