Quick scales question

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Rune
(@rune)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'm looking in the Blues You Can Use book at the scale in Lesson one specifically, but it applies to other scales I've seen around too. One thing it doesn't mention is: are you supposed to play the open string before fretting the note on that string? Open 6th, fretted 6th, open 5th, fretted 5th, etc? Or just go down the fretted notes? Thanks :)

It's a dry heat!

(@robbie)
Honorable Member

Hey Rune that is the minor pentatonic scale in the key of E, play the open strings as indicated (all of them) as well as the indicated fretted notes. You will see in the next lesson that it is a movable pattern and you will then have to fret the lower notes on each string as well.
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

I forgot to mention on my previous post that you can go direct to the Blues You Can Use forum at:
http://www.bluesyoucanuse.com/forum.html

There you can get specific help on any problem you might have
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member

If you mean the E minor Pentatonic scale on Page 6, notice the "0" fret circles on the left indicating that you do play the open strings. You'll see the same shape on Page 10 with a movable version of the same scale.

(When I learned these I found it easier to start with the movable version, then the open version, because all of the alternating between fretted / open strings was hard to get used to at first.)

ReplyQuote