Notifications
Clear all

R & B. Fingerpicking or flat pick

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@yogi994)
Topic starter  

I'm a new guitarist that likes R & B. My problem is that I really like the sound of using a pick when playing, but most R & B vids I watch the guitarist are fingerpicking. Do I need to switch to finger picking for playing R & B?

(@alangreen)

No, you don't need to fingerpick exclusively, but there are times you'll find fingerpicking is the only way it's going to work and times you'll find flatpicking best.

Do learn both techniques. My students hardly ever flatpick, but I think that might be because I'm a classical guitarist and I can usually do what they want to achieve with just my fingers, and show them how to do it.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

No, you don't need to fingerpick exclusively, but there are times you'll find fingerpicking is the only way it's going to work and times you'll find flatpicking best.

Do learn both techniques. My students hardly ever flatpick, but I think that might be because I'm a classical guitarist and I can usually do what they want to achieve with just my fingers, and show them how to do it.

What Alan said. I also use a technique my teacher showed me many moons ago he called "hybrid picking," using the plectrum and the remaining fingers together.

I've also been known to "pop" like a bass player or whack the strings into the fingerboard to get specific sounds.

You do what it takes to get what you want . . .

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote