Clear all

ready for open mic?

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@kachman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey GN folks, got a question - how long after starting or what level should one get to before attempting to play at an open mic?

I ask cos I just started learning myself 9 months ago, I don't have any originals (well, there's this little 3 chord song i wrote but i wouldn't think of playing it out), am not a very good singer, and I can only play a few easy songs - but anyhow, I played and sang for a couple friends at my place the other day, they liked it and now they're pushing me to go out and play at this open mic.

Well, I've been going to this Monday night open mic for a couple of weeks just to watch, and pretty much everyone I've seen play there have played originals and seem to be quite good - so I really don't know if i'm ready to do that yet. The song I can play best is redemption song, but thats a beginner song almost every guitarist can play. I can put my own twist to it, but i think its too basic. I can also play wish you were here (thx again dHodge), but a lot of guitarists also know this and will probably not appreciate a beginner messing it up. I can play some Dylan, and some Tracy Chapman, but then their folky with just basic chord changes which will also give away my newbieness.

I'm not trying to compete, just don't want to waste folks time and embarass myself. Do you think I should learn some more complex songs or maybe write at least one song before I go out? Or maybe find an open mic venue where there'll be others closer to my level?

Thanks a bunch!

http://www.myspace.com/kachman

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'd say you're looking at this negatively....instead of thinking, "Wow, all these really good guitarists, they're bound to look down their noses at me" ...... why don't you at least have a word with some of them before you commit? You never know, they may be quite human, give you some tips, advice and encouragement....

Everybody loves a trier....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@kachman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

...... why don't you at least have a word with some of them before you commit? You never know, they may be quite human, give you some tips, advice and encouragement....

Vic

Thx Vic, I was thinking of getting in contact with the host before the next event and chatting a little bit. Last time I was there I mentioned to him and someone else in light conversation that I was a beginner and maybe needed to get a little better, they said "Hey, you're always good enough" but I thought that answer was a little generic and they were just trying to be nice.... maybe i should just go as part of the audience again and maybe talk with some of the regulars??

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

kachman

At the end of the day, you must think you are ready for this or you wouldn't even consider it.

But what i would say to you is, pick a song you know, and practice practice practice it until you can play it in your sleep. The audience will forgive you playing a simple song well and knowing it, but they might not forgive you playing a more complex song badly.

I would also suggest you record yourself and play it back. How does it sound to YOU?

It takes a lot of guts to get up there and play, so fair play to you for doing it. I hope it works out for you!

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Hey GN folks, got a question - how long after starting or what level should one get to before attempting to play at an open mic?

I ask cos I just started learning myself 9 months ago, I don't have any originals (well, there's this little 3 chord song i wrote but i wouldn't think of playing it out), am not a very good singer, and I can only play a few easy songs - but anyhow, I played and sang for a couple friends at my place the other day, they liked it and now they're pushing me to go out and play at this open mic.

Well, you know you can play and sing something well enough to please an audience. Granted, it's an audience of friends, but they share a lot of common traits with audiences everywhere, and odds are you'll get the same good reception at an open mic night.

I wouldn't worry about not having originals. If everyone else there is doing originals, then you're likely to be regarded as a welcome change when you do a few familiar covers.

Re: "not a very good singer" - just remember that beauty is in the ears of the listener. There are people that like your singing, so don't question it. Just DO it. I'm not a great singer either, but people like my voice. No accounting for taste I guess :roll: , so I just accept it and say thank you

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Re: "not a very good singer" - just remember that beauty is in the ears of the listener. There are people that like your singing, so don't question it. Just DO it. I'm not a great singer either, but people like my voice. No accounting for taste I guess :roll: , so I just accept it and say thank you

... or bring a friend to sing with you.

But if your friends think your voice is at least "OK", then go for it. There is no downside.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@kachman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

As always I can count on great feedback here!

Anyhow, I don't want to sound like I'm coming up with all kinds of excuses not to do it.
Matt, I've recorded myself a few times and have noticed improvements in my playing and singing. At first it was difficult playing back and listening but now I actually like a few recordings and think they're pretty good - which maybe explains why I may secretly think I can do it. Only thing is the files are too big to send via email and get other opinions in case I'm just biased and impressed with myself in comparison to where I started.

And moonrider, per my friends, I don't know if its really just the surprise of seeing and hearing me play. One of them had seen me practice and doodle through a few riffs and intros before but not play and sing whole songs like i did when they came over, others had never seen me play at all - so don't know if its just that they expected less than i delivered.......

okay, let me stop sounding negative again!

ReplyQuote
(@pamparius)
Estimable Member

There are aplications for making the soundclips smaller.

Here's some off them, all free or shareware

And I'm sure you'll do okay performing.

Have this in mind:
"Man's biggest obstacle from winning is our fear for loosing."

Good luck!

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

kachman,
As far as what other musicians will think of you at an open mike, you couldn't be more off base. If anything the opposite is true and for the most part you will be accepted with open arms.
Let me ask you a question:
I have been playing for less time than you and there are a couple of songs I can play and even sing (with my terrible voice) I am not that good but I can get through.
Would MY playing put YOU off?

ReplyQuote
(@kachman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

.... But of course NOT! Guess you got me with that one. Thanks for the wisdom!.

I've seen a couple of acts struggle through and I remember willing them on applauding in genuine support and aapreciation when they finished. I guess if thats how most people feel watching, then it can't be that bad.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

My first time on stage was when I was 11.

I took up Peter Frampton's "Penny For Your Thoughts" and practiced it (and nothing else) for 3 months.

I was nervous as can be, but I nailed it, the audience stood up and applauded, and I never looked back.

If you know the song, really know it. You've worked your fingers to the bone to get every nuance down perfect, then you are more than ready and you will be well received no matter how simple the song is.

Audiences at open mics can tell when someone's put forth the effort to bring them some music. They will cheer you for that, regardless of how "good" the performance is. The only folks that get boo'ed are the ones that didn't give the audience the respect of actually having practiced the piece appropriately.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

You wouldn't be wasting anyone's time - most of them are already doing that just sitting in some club. If anything, you'd be helping to fill up some of that time they are wasting.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote