Clear all

Returning after a long absence . . .

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I used to be a pretty proficient guitar player.

Then one day, in 1991, I had to sell my beloved gear in order to eat.

I'm back on my feet now, and a few days ago was driving around when I felt an urge to stop at a music store. I pulled in and they had a beautiful used fender strat that had just came in. I fell in love with the guitar in a heartbeat and it's now sitting on a guitar stand in my office.

I've picked it up and played a few chords and quickly realized my fingers can no longer do what my brain is telling them to do.

So my question is -- has anyone else been in this situation? What is the best way to re-learn an instrument after such a long time away from it?

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to the musical madhouse!

I think there are several folks who have returned to playing. You might check out the meet and greet thread in the Lessons forum.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

My advice is basically treat it as if you've picked a guitar up for the very first time.

Your body has forgotten almost everything about playing, you've just got memories left. You have to rebuild the foundation upon which your playing rests. As you go along, the memories will become suddenly leaps in ability - the foundation will connect with the memory and another piece drops into place again.

Hope you enjoy the journey.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

Good to hear your back on your feet, and enjoying the guitar again.

I have never stopped and then picked the guitar again, I've only been playin about twenty months. My guess is you will pick things up quicker than a complete newby, maybe you should consider finding a good teacher that can help you put the pieces of the puzzle back together, it may only take a few lessons to really get you going again.

Best of luck.....

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member

It might be interesting to hear from anyone if they did the same thing and relearned, and how easy it was, because I often fear the same could happen to me. So is this like riding a bike?

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

I had a similar situation, had to sell my first guitar and amp to pay bills... was heartbroken. But after about 2 years I finaly bought a new one. Trust me, give it two monthes and you will be better than u ever were. Once you get your fingers built up again its quite easy, not as easy as riding a bike but pretty close. You'll remember things you thought you forgot in no time, just keep the practice up!

Good-luck!!!!!

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@oldiron)
Estimable Member

I was away from the guitar for over thirty years and have been back at it for a few months now. I'm really supprised at how fast it came back. I never had anything like this site or the magazens that are avalable now back when I was learning back in the sixties. This site had been a big help, USE IT!

Welcome back.

I may be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride. (Jerry Garcea)

ReplyQuote