Notifications
Clear all

Rig for under $1,500?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@countingdaze)
Topic starter  

I'm a rookie player looking for a new rig. I've spent a respectable amount of time educating myself about gear and spending time in local music stores trying out different equipment. I thought I had narrowed it down to a solid body single cut Gibson or Epiphone with a Marshall combo. Then I came across a live performance ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LQmZIUKkfA ) that made me rethink things. The player in the clip produces the sound I'm after, but I'm not a good enough player to justify the cost of the Yamaha AES1500B used + amp and pedals. I hadn't even been considering hollow bodies and am now hoping this forum can speed up my search somewhat. I'd like to ask experienced players for rig recommendations that would emulate this sound and keep me under the $1,500 mark all in (guitar, amp, pedals). This would be for home use and primarily used to play classic, hard and blues rock. Also, a nice clean channel sound would be a plus as I don't own an acoustic guitar. Thanks for the help!

(@lesspaul)
Trusted Member

Everything in music is player preference. So the best thing you can do for yourself, is to define clearly your taste. If it's the tone in the video then buy exactly what she's using. Forget about buying the whole rig on this "check." Get it piece by piece if you have to but you won't be satisfied until you get the sound that's in your head.

Just make sure that's what you want. I recommend everyone find 3-5 albums with great guitar tone. Then, find out what the artists used on the album. You'll likely find some common denominators. Start there.

@$1500 I'd buy just the guitar (this is just me, my gear is pricey, and I'm currently looking for a specific guitar). If I had some change I'd get something like a POD because they're great on the road/recording, and you can even perform on them if you have to.

BTW, Clean channel and acoustic aren't really comparable. If you're trying to accomplish too much with 1 rig, products like the POD are a good place to start. Esp because they're affordable.

~Yours Troubadorly,
http://www.sergiopaulomusic.com

ReplyQuote
(@countingdaze)
Topic starter  

Thanks LessPaul!

ReplyQuote