Clear all

Ringing Strings

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I need some help with this tab. Its I Wanna Be Sedated by The Ramones. My biggest problem is when I play a power chord, then go to play the single note, all the strings from the power chord are still ringing. Is there anyway to get them to stop ringing or ring for a shorter amount of time?

|------------------------------------
|----------9------------------------
|---8--9--9-----9------9---------
|---8--9--9-----9------9------------
|---6--7--7--7--7--7--7--7--------
|------------------------------------

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

They will ring won't they. I think my LP is still ringing in the stand.

They only thing that seemed to work was to play the chord then hold the 7th on the A while you lift the 9th on the D & G but don't take you finger completely off the strings. Now pick the A. Actually, you can hit all 3 since you have effectively muted the D & G anyway. Give that a try unless someone offers a better solution

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Just lift all your fingers but the index.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

Forgive me if this is completely off the mark. I don't know the song, and haven't tried out the tab to see exactly what you mean.

I think Nils has it nailed with the technique of lifting the fingers so that the note doesn't play but the fingers are now damping the strings. When I do it, it's still pretty rough as sometimes one finger lifts right off, or not up enough, or whatever.

But somethat else that works for me if I want to quickly dampen or muffle strings is to use the sleeve of my jumper. The end of a sleeve (rolled back once) makes a great mute and can be quickly dabbed on and off without needed to use your palm. Or I can leave it on, at various pressures, to get different muty/muffly sounds.

I've been thinking of cutting up an old jumper (except I still wear all my old jumpers!) or buying one of those sports sweat wristband things and see if that works.

Sorryif I've got the wrong end of the stick here, but it is a handy (wristy?) extra piece of kit sometimes. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

I have a different version and at 164 beat it's pretty fast, those strings won't ring out very long. Let me know if you want the rest of it.

E||--------------------------|--------------------------|
B||--------------------------|--------------------------|
G||--8/-9--9-----9-----9-----|--9-----9-----9-----9-----|
D||--8/-9--9-----9-----9-----|--9-----9-----9-----9-----|
A||--6/-7--7-----7-----7-----|--7-----7-----7-----7-----|
E||-----------0-----0-----0--|-----0-----0-----0-----0--|

--------------------------|--------------------------|
--------------------------|--------------------------|
--8/-9--9-----9-----9-----|--9-----9-----9-----9-----|
--8/-9--9-----9-----9-----|--9-----9-----9-----9-----|
--6/-7--7-----7-----7-----|--7-----7-----7-----7-----|
-----------0-----0-----0--|-----0-----0-----0-----0--|

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I just noticed the speed of the version I have and its 164. I think the biggest issue is, if the strings still ring, and the song is fast, it gets hard to hear if I'm playing the notes right. Especially since I have a habit of playing too many or too few strings.

Oh, and Nils got my meaning, and even if he didn't, he answered my question. I usually don't use my palm to mute, normally I just use my fingers.

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Try palm muting the strings a touch.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Muting the strings works pretty good. Not only do I stop them from ringing, but I can play the song faster too.

Thanks for the help.

ReplyQuote
(@sweatsavesblood)
Eminent Member

For what it's worth ... it is the Ramones. A few mistakes aren't entirely unacceptable.

Note I do sympathize with your aim.

- mdr
"And under the spreading chestnut tree
I sold you and you sold me" - orwell

ReplyQuote