Scales

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@hello)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

I'm trying to make a overview of the common scales, but i'm a bit stuck with the pentatonic scale. I copied the following from a guitar book i own (the key tone is in red):

However, most sites say that the pentatonic is a combination of both. like this:

I kinda figured this out myself, but i hope you can confirm this, or i'm really lost :? :

in red are the key tones for the minor pentatonic scale, and one extra tone of the 3rd octave...o wait not octave but...penta?

in blue are the key tones of the major pentatonic scale, but it doesn't start with the key tone but with the last tone of the preceding penta...

So...the E minor pentatonic has the same notes as the G major pentatonic....is this right?

pfffff....i really hope i figured this out allright....when i'm done with my overview i'll be happy to share!

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yes, Em pentatonic and G major pentatonic have the same notes.

The difference is the 'tonal center' - the note around which the music is built. You'll find the same thing in other scales... the C major scale has exactly the same notes as the A natural minor scale.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Relative major and relative minor perhaps?

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote