Notifications
Clear all

seated guitar position

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@jp-outrider)
Topic starter  

What is the recommended position for the guitar when playing seated?

I see most guitarists have it resting on their right thigh. When I try this, I feel like the guitar is very unstable, the neck naturally falls down and I have to stablaize the guitar with my left hand, not leaving it free to do its work.

Then there is resting it on your left thigh with the larger part almost between your two legs. Some use a foot stool for the left leg. The guitar feels very stable in this position without my left hand even touching the guitar. So I am growing very comfortable with this position. Am I making a mistake? Should I struggle through making the other position work? Most guitarists I see use the first position I described.

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The classical position is your second option - guitar on the left knee.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Recommended positions are just that - recommendations, not hard-and-fast rules. The best position for you is the one which is most comfortable, most stable, and is easiest on your fretting hand and wrist. It's different for everyone - experiment till you find the best position for YOU!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

And have a guitar playing friend have a look at you. (Or post a photo here.)

If it works for you, it works! And no worries. Sometimes, though, when you're getting started, there may be ways you're holding your guitar that get in your way...someone who's played longer can usually spot this.

If the neck tends to drop when it's sitting on your right thigh, that probably just means that your guitar is a little neck heavy. If you want to play it sitting that way, a strap might help.

Playing standing up may also open up some options. (with strap, obviously.)

But there's nothing wrong with the classical position (second position you describe.)

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Guitar on the left thigh with the lower bout between the legs works better than the right thigh for me.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

The classical position also allows me to stretch my fingers a bit farther because I can move my left arm more freely.

But sometimes when I play I do play with the guitar on my right thigh, if I'm strumming, or I can sit in that position because I'm on the couch looking at music to the side etc.

Classical is very comfortable for me though

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@jp-outrider)
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the replies.

When playing in the classical position, do you have both feet flat on the floor? or the left foot on a foot stool? I have tried the foot stool but dont find it comfortable on the left hip after a while. So far I am most comfortable with both feet on the floor and not using a foot stool. The only downside to not using a foot stool is the neck of the guitar is angled up a little less than I would like it to be.

Also, when playing in the classical position do you use a strap? If yes, is the weight of the guitar mostly taken by the strap or it sitting between your two legs?

ReplyQuote
(@shredguy_deluxe)

Hi there :)

The two positions seem to work well for me for different things. For example, I find that sitting with the guitar on my right thigh is ideal for rhythm practice (or indeed tracking in the studio), but I have a much greater control over what I'm playing a nd a greater accuracy when playing lead sat in the classical position (with both feet flat on the ground and a strap on to add some more support). It's all a case of what works best for you. Perhaps switching between the two positions for different things may also work for you?

666, the number of the beast... Hell and fire was spawned to be released...
...or we could just get a pizza.
=====
Download a Free Learn to Play Guitar eBook

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

When playing in the classical position, do you have both feet flat on the floor? or the left foot on a foot stool? I have tried the foot stool but dont find it comfortable on the left hip after a while. So far I am most comfortable with both feet on the floor and not using a foot stool. The only downside to not using a foot stool is the neck of the guitar is angled up a little less than I would like it to be.

Also, when playing in the classical position do you use a strap? If yes, is the weight of the guitar mostly taken by the strap or it sitting between your two legs?

I use a foot stool when playing classical...it takes some getting used to when playing for long periods. It would bug me for a while when I first started it, but I gradually got used to it.

I do NOT use a strap in classical because the guitar should sit in-between your legs and essentially it kind of holds itself up. Gravity kind of takes over because of the way it should be angled and the strap wouldn't do a whole lot in my opinion.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@smcclure)
Trusted Member

There are supports you can use instead of a strap, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_guitar_accessories#List_of_guitar_supports

I use the large sized Dynarette and it works well.

____
Steve

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

JP, go to the Hear Hear forum and watch the videos of "maplebaby". He always use the classical position (as electric as acoustic guitars).

Here is an example: https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=48413

His position is perfect (at least it is the position that my teacher described many years ago). As Joe said, it improves the left arm/hand mobility. That can be observed in the videos.

ReplyQuote