Sixteenth note strumming

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 tija
(@tija)
Topic starter  

Hey,

I'm working on a song right now, which is the first one I've tried with sixteenth notes. However it also has some eigth notes in this. I'm wondering how people count this in their heads while playing it?

I'm aware of how to count it, for example, the count for this pattern is -

(the notes in brackets are not strummed)

1(e)and(a) 2eAnda 3(e)(and)a 4eAnda

As you can see, the first two notes are eigth notes and so on. I'm just wondering how to get this fluid while saying it out loud? If anyone understands what I'm trying to ask. I tap my foot to it, but I'd also like a way to say it to help me know when to strum chords and so on. How do people do that?

I've tried a few, like -

1missandmiss 2eAndA 3missmissA 4eAnda

1 and 2eAnda 3 a 4eAnda

But with these I find it really hard to keep my feet moving steadily to the beat while remembering which strings to hit. I do practice with a metronome already and I'm aware the answer is probably going to be to practice it slowly as possible over and over, while breaking it down into small sections to work on, but I'm just curious to see if anyone out there has any other advice?

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

My teacher taught me 'one-te-ne-te-two-te-ne-te'.

ReplyQuote
(@squibb)

I got the e-and-a from my drum teacher, but I don't remember anything like that from my guitar teacher O,o

"head in the clouds, feet on the ground"

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

Try this one (from William Leavitt book)
1 a & ah , 2 a & ah, 3 a & ah , 4 a & ah.

I count it in spanish ,which is easier: un a y ah , dos a y ah, tres a y ah (maybe it could help you :)

Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

My inclination would be to practice it first without the guitar, like this:

SAY all the syllables/beats as you have them written (1 e and a, 2 e and a, 3 e and a, 4 e and a), but TAP your strumming hand (on the table) only on the beats that are strummed. Personally, I would be looking at the written music while doing this, assuming you have it in standard notation.

This can help you get it fixed in your mind, and to develop a degree of separation between the regular beat (in your head) and the irregular strumming (your hand).

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

hi mate

the pattern is quite difficult at the beginning since it involves sixteen notes syncopation. The best thing to do is to get the feel for sixteen notes first. try this exercise:

a) set your metronome at 60 bpm and tap your foot alongside the click for a few minutes
b) mute the strings with your left hand and play a constant flur of sixteen notes with alternate picking always tapping your foot with your click. If you're doing it correctly you should play a quick donw and up each time you tap your foot and a quick donw and up each time you raise your foot. Do this as long as can play without missing a note
c) play some straight sixteen notes pattern like dd/dudu/dd/dudu always tapping your foot alogside the click and muting the strings. When everything is ok play it with some easy chord progression (like E, a, d, e)
d) then introduce some syncopation and play something like always tapping your foot alogside the click and muting the strings

dd/dudu/uu/dudu

e) if everything is ok apd it proach in the same way your pattern

don't be discourage it may need even a few hourse of metronome to nail down the pattern, but if you do the exercise everything we'll be ok!

cheers

Matteo

ReplyQuote