Clear all

small hole in acoustic

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@brian-f)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

there is a small hole on the back side of my acoustic (point furthest from the head stock. It looks like there used to be a very small knob there which you maybe could attach a strap to? the hole is about the diameter of a pen or pencil. Should I try to replace whatever it was that was there before? did someone remove it for a reason? does the hole being there effect the sound of the guitar?

thanks!

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

It is for a strap. Strap buttons are cheap. Just make sure you get the push in kind. Maybe you can retro a screw in type somehow?

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Many shops remove these endpins (strap buttons) from acoustic guitars on display, as they tend to 'disappear.' When you get a replacement, don't glue it in (it's tempting) -- just push in and twist for a snug fit. The hole won't affect the sound with or without the strap button.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@brian-f)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

THANKS

if i wanted a strap, what would it connect to on the headstock end?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Two choices:

1. No alteration to the guitar: Loop the (usually included) strap string through one end hole of the strap and then tie it around the headstock just above the nut -- I recommend buying a Planet Waves quick release for this.

2. Buy a screw-in strap button and mount it on the neck heel -- either right on the neck heel endcap or on the side of the neck heel pointing sort of toward the floor in playing position. Check out acoustics in a store, many come with this pre-installed these days. If you install one yourself, drill a pilot hole for the screw to avoid splitting the wood.

-G

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@brian-f)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks gnease.

ReplyQuote