Clear all

Smoothing out strumming?

46 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
11.8 K Views
(@Anonymous)

Matt,

Thanks for all your help! You really do take the time to explain things...

Right now I am practicing with 2 chord progressions based on the songs they are from....first D-E-G-D (Eight Days A Week) using the 2 main strumming patterns from the song: D UDU (intro) and the one Nils gave for the verse (D U U DU).

The second one is G-F-C-G from Night Moves (Bob Seger) using strumming pattern D DUD DUD UDU. This one is really starting to take shape especially since there is a fast chord change from F to C and then F to G right at the UDU part of the strumming (listen to the song to understand)...

Right now my biggest problem with this isn't the strumming...it's the D chord (yes STILL!). This chord is fighting me to the very end! There are times when I can nail it every time. Then there are days like Monday where I couldn't hit the D chord with the side of a barn! I just can't figure out what such a simple chord is giving me so much grief?

As for strumming I can get the timing from the songs but working with a metronome is almost as impossible as the D chord (maybe they are related). If I listen to the song I can figure it out. If I don't know the song then it's a turkey shoot as to what the timing is. I know this isn't good but I NEED the song to go with it to keep me playing it. That's kind of why I don't really practice scales anymore. I am sure if my motivation were song writing I would be practicing scales 24/7. But for now cover songs are my goal.

However with yours (and everyone else's) help what I am practicing is coming along fine...

Thanks again!

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4