Notifications
Clear all

Solid Chrome Pickup Covers

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@zepeda91)
Topic starter  

Im Tryin to put covers on my gibson hawk and i need to knoe if its gonne be different with solid covers.. can anyone help me out?"

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Try again, and get the covers with 6 holes for the screw poles, and get them spaced for neck and bridge seperately.

Solid covers won't fit snugly, and will rest on top of the higher screw poles, and there will be a gap at the slug poles, even if you put one strip of electrical tape neatly trimmed between the rows. That can trap the microhophonic signal or squeal within the enclosure, especially since it's airy and not wax-potted, and makes it worse.

Solid covers fit properly over flat or slug poles, and your pickups would have screws that need to be removed - sorry it's a tricky process and once in awhile it can cut a winding, destroying the pickup. Anyhow, if you get your screws out, you place them back through the top of a pickup cover, and it holds the thing down firmly like an original Gibson PAF, or some new unpotted Burstbuckers.

Some online instructions appear to be believe that the screws can rest inside the covers with holes, or beneath them. That is not the case since the screws come down from the top, and yes, you are talking about solid covers anyhow.

However, I recommend these since they work best.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote