Notifications
Clear all

Some beginner questions.

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@trebek_dkm)
Topic starter  

Hey guys. Just started an account here and new to the guitar and was wondering about some random questions I've had. Thank you ahead of time for any answers. Here they are:

1. Strumming rhythms have been quite difficult to hear and play. Is this normal? Will practice eventually cure this, or am I just musically handicapped?

2. I've been learning on an acoustic and can do pretty much all of the chords now. Well almost, the Barre chords are difficult but those take time. My problem is with the A chord it seems that my fingers are too big to fit in the second fret together. Is thos common? And is it okay to just barre that chord with index finger?

(@alangreen)

1. Strumming rhythms have been quite difficult to hear and play. Is this normal? Will practice eventually cure this, or am I just musically handicapped?

Yes, it's normal. Yes, practise will fix it. No, you're not musically handicapped.
I've been learning on an acoustic and can do pretty much all of the chords now. Well almost, the Barre chords are difficult but those take time. My problem is with the A chord it seems that my fingers are too big to fit in the second fret together. Is thos common? And is it okay to just barre that chord with index finger

It's really sloppy technique to use the index finger to fret all three strings. To get the finger in that position it's not coming over vertically onto the strings, it's collapsed. What I have my students do is to use the middle, ring and pinky fingers to fret those three strings - it makes it a lot easier later on when you want to play A-shape barres.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

Welcome. If you are worried about how to play and where to put your fingers you'd probably be well served by getting some lessons pronto. Alan is very right telling you how to properly play a barre. I would have said its okay to use your eyebrow or elbow to barre as long as you like the sound it makes. Both methods have mixed results.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I would have said its okay to use your eyebrow or elbow to barre as long as you like the sound it makes. Both methods have mixed results.
I dont know... the eyebrow gives kinda a ..."fuzzy" sound

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

As Ezra and Alan have already mentioned (or alluded to!) lessons are always a good idea for the beginner guitarist. It's good to learn the CORRECT techniques from day 1.

And having said that, once you start to develop some skill, it's almost a natural progression - especially when you're playing rock guitar - to un-learn those skills and develop your own shortcuts. For instance, I find it easier to play the A chord you mentioned with just TWO fingers - although mine are long and thin. I use my index and ring finger to play all three strings. Sloppy? Yes, probably. Bad technique? Yes, definitely, as my wrist tends to be at a very bad angle. BUT....it works for me.

But those basic skills will always stand you in good stead.....start off on the right foot, you'll probably carry on that way. Start taking shortcuts from day one, and you'll never develop those basic skills - which is why Alan (who's roughly the same age as me) who was taught correct techniques and, more importantly, has retained all the good habits he learned early on, has a lot of guitar students and makes a comfortable living, whereas I'd be lucky to get a job polishing guitars.

:-) :-) :-)

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

depending on how my hands are feeling and what song i'm playing, i'll play an A chord with one, two, or three fingers, and may barre it with my index or middle finger, or just move up to the 5th fret and play it there, sometimes with my thumb on the low string, or even other ways. it doesn't really matter that much how you play a chord, just that it sounds and your hands are able to get to it and away from it fast enough to keep the song going. i usually do whatever's easiest or whatever works. some people have strong opinions, usually based on nothing but what someone told them once, about the 'right way' to play or position your hand, and i wouldn't recommend trying to fret with your forehead or picking with a blowtorch, but the proof is in the pudding, and a string doesn't care what finger you fret it with.

ReplyQuote