Notifications
Clear all

Some chromatic help needed please

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@dexter30)
Topic starter  

Ok, if playing the entire chromatic scale starting with the open low “E” what would be the entire progression ending at the 12th fret high “E”? I started figuring some things out as reflected in the chart below but really I'm not even sure if this is correct. It sound right but really my ears aren't that developed yet. I'm trying to put together a visual chart that will help me learn all the notes on the fret board so any and all help is much welcome. :)

Washburn Mercury MG-74, Stagg L-320 goth, Carvin SX-100 amp, Maestro Stage phaser. Gibson Model: L-47 Acoustic Archtop(broke and unplayable since the day i got it), Cordoba 40R Nylon string classical.Φ

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Not sure what your question is...

If you start the pattern you've shown on the 13th fret of the low E, you'll end up on the 12th fret of the high E.

If you're asking how to get from the 4th fret of the high E on up, you need to shift positions a few times. One possible way to do three octaves:

---------------------------------------------------------5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12
-------------------------------------------------6-7-8-9-------------------
-----------------------------------------6-7-8-9---------------------------
------------------------3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-----------------------------------
----------------4-5-6-7---------------------------------------------------
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8------------------------------------------------------------

on the strings with eight notes, you need to shift position - on the 6th string, your pinky would play 4, then your index would play 5.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@dexter30)
Topic starter  

Ok, I may have over complicated it a bit. What I want to do is.... starting from the first fret on the low "e" work my way to the 12th fret on the high "e" in succession. From reading your reply NoteBoat, you seem to have answered my question. Can the same thing be accomplished playing it in different positions/successions? Thanks for the help. :D

Washburn Mercury MG-74, Stagg L-320 goth, Carvin SX-100 amp, Maestro Stage phaser. Gibson Model: L-47 Acoustic Archtop(broke and unplayable since the day i got it), Cordoba 40R Nylon string classical.Φ

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yes, that pattern is a chromatic scale from any starting position.

That's true of all guitar scales, because the guitar has a chromatic layout. If you figure out a fingering for a chromatic, major, minor, augmented etc etc scale, that fingering is moveable anywhere on the neck (provided that what you start with doesn't use open strings)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@dexter30)
Topic starter  

Excellent, thanks for the help!

ReplyQuote