Notifications
Clear all

Some good beginer books

14 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@dumpy2)
Topic starter  

i am looking for a good beginers book (and when i say beginer i mean absolute beginer), but instead of just going out and buying a random book, i thought i would ask you guys what books you have used, and found effective, thanks in advance.

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

If I were to use a book I would use this one "Mel Bay's Complete Method for Modern Guitar". I purchased it a while back and I have used it some. It is complete beginner and has some really good lessons that will get you started. If you go from start to finish the way it is set up you will know how to read music, which alot of people dont (Including me).

The only thing I dont like about it is that it is not spiral bound so it is difficult to keep it open and you cant put it on a music stand.

The lessons here at GN are terrific for learning beginning guitar as well. They can take you a long way before you need lessons.

Good luck
Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@dumpy2)
Topic starter  

just thought i would throw in for you guys to feel free to recomend other forms of media too, dvd, websites, etc, thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Most absolute beginner books are very much of a muchness. The Hal Leonard books come with CD, which I guess gives them sufficient to make them worth recommending.

Anything on DVD should be worth looking at - anybody checked anything out?

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@mikefly)
Eminent Member

if your looking for some great dvd's magrack.com or if your cable provider has magrackfree on your ondemand section its worth checking out there guitar express section and there school of rock

I've been paying on these tattoo's for 10 years
(btw my site is a mess and under construction right now so dont visit it)

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

The Fender "Getting Started" DVDs with Keith Wyatt are excellent. (Published by Hal Leonard, by the way.) There is an acoustic and an electric version; the very basic parts are the same, then they expand from there.

Fender Getting Started on Acoustic Guitar

The only thing I don't like is that they don't come with printable tabs, so you can't practice "offline" so to speak. But they are probably the best beginner instructional DVDs, in my opinion.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

One of the first Books I got After the all the BASIC OF THE BASICS, was Troy Stetina's Total ROCK. It had me rocken out very quickly. I still go back and run through it.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@rafterman)

I can recommend "Guitar for Dummies", CD included, great for total beginners, (like me). They also do "Rock Guitar for Dummies".
Enjoy, Rafterman.

If nobody knows you did it, deny all knowledge!!

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

I have found the Aaron Shearer books to be the best. There are three in the series, "How to Play Classical Guitar." Don't worry that it's classical guitar--it doesn't matter. You'll l earn technique, reading, rhythmn, scales--the books put it all together.

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

I started with a chord book and the internet, but at the first stages the chord book was all i used :D

ReplyQuote
(@rag_doll_92)
Reputable Member

I actually found a really great dvd that taught me some chords, chord progression, pentatonic scales...has kind of like a metronome thing in the dvd too, where you can follow the beat...It got me started and I was an ABSULUTE begginer, I mean, I didn't even know how to fret a single note!!!

Join the fight to stop global warming...
Join the virtual march at: http://www.stopglobalwarming.org
We CAN make a diffrence!

ReplyQuote
(@rag_doll_92)
Reputable Member

I'll post the name for it later, (I lost the dvd!)

Join the fight to stop global warming...
Join the virtual march at: http://www.stopglobalwarming.org
We CAN make a diffrence!

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

I have been through a bunch of stuff, most of it offering very little for something to get out of it.

I like Peter Vogl's lessons the best. Book, CD and DVD package.

I am doing the blues guitar thing by Peter Vogl right now and actually learning something!

WHAT IS THIS JAMSTER THING ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF MY SCREEN COVERING TEXT!?!?! :evil:

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote