Clear all

songs to play with CAGED chords?

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rhcpfan)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hello, Are there songs I can play with CAGED chords? I would like to know some songs.

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

All bues/rock songs in A. :P

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I wondered why I couldn't play any in G

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

Hello, Are there songs I can play with CAGED chords? I would like to know some songs.

If you know those chords you can play almost anything (and if you look into barre chords you'll realize you know quite a few more chords than that), or is CAGED some specific type of chord/chord progression and not just the list of chords you know?

ReplyQuote
(@yournightmare)
Estimable Member

If you just know the standard CAGED sequence, all those chords are C chords.

Malicant, for the CAGED sequence, you start with an open C, then barre the third fret and make an A chord relative to the bar (which is a C chord), then barre the 5th fret and make a G chord relative to the barre (C again), then barre the 8th fret and make an E relative to the barre (C again), then barre the 10th fret and make a D chord relative to the barre (yep, C again).

If you start with open G, then barre the 3rd fret and make an E (G), then barre the 5th fret and make D (G), etc.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

CAGED is a method of learning where your chords are on the neck by reference to the five open position chord shapes, although the step back round from D to C isn't the same as the others. Apparently CAGED works for scales too, but I've never explored it for scales.

By barring the highest fret fretted in the previous open shape, you play the same chord in the next shape to continue playing the same chord. So long as you know your starting point the system tells you where to go next.

The step back round from the D shape to the C shape is different - you have to barre the equivalent of the 2nd fret, not the 3rd which is actually the highest fretted position. Extending yournightmare's logic, having played a D shape barred at the 5th fret to get G, you then barre the 7th fret (two frets further up) and play the C shape to get G again, and then barre the 10th fret (highest fretted position from the C shape) and play an A shape to get your next G.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote