Clear all

Spanish-style guitar question

14 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@yournightmare)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I really like the sound of Spanish-style guitar playing (don't know the proper term, sorry). I'd like to play around with my own melodies and stuff, but honestly--I have no clue about the theory behind it. Why does it sound like it does? What scale(s) is it based around? Here's an example of what I'm talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lvMQCmUVv8

(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

It's in the key of A minor with long sections using Am - E - E7 - Am. He's playing fast melodic phrases based on A harmonic minor scale with a healthy sprinkling of chromatic passing notes. Her fast rhythmic and percussive strumming are also essential ingredients of that Spanish sound. Nylon strings too are an important part of the sound.

ReplyQuote
(@yournightmare)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I thought it was Am, but for some reason when I try to play my own melodies using that scale I just can't get it right.

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

I thought it was Am, but for some reason when I try to play my own melodies using that scale I just can't get it right.

Then it's probably the rhythm that you're not getting. Notice his melody lines are often syncopated (accented notes where you don't normally expect them) and also his slower parts are played staccato (cut short). There are no long notes, although sometimes he uses fast tremolo picking, which gives the effect of long unfading notes. Dynamics are also important - both players vary the volume to contrast different sections and also to make climaxes at the ends of phrases. Also, she's quite pretty, which enhances the visual appeal - you might have to compromise on that one. :lol:

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Just a comment. Rodrigo y Gabriela are Mexicans. To me, their music sounds more similar to other Caribbean/Sudamerican music than to Spanish. For example, it is much faster but it seems to me more similar to a son from Cuba like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2dFLlaEaIU

Yournightmare, another sound of Spanish guitars, the rumba:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oyhlad64-s

I hope you like it! :D

ReplyQuote
(@yournightmare)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yea, that's good stuff Nuno. But if that's not Spanish guitar, can you point me to some? I hate to be ignorant!

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

First, please, you are not ignorant. Simply I tried to give my opinion. Probably I am used to hear these rhythms. :D

Now, I think Rodrigo y Daniela were here some time and probably they studied some Spanish rhythms, too. They are great guitarists and theirs covers of famous songs are amazing. For example, Stairway to heaven. The first part sounds absolutely classical to me but with some jazzy phrases.

They mix several rhythms and ways to play the guitar. As Fretsource said, the nylon is also very important to associate it with a Spanish sound. And also the rasgueo and other techniques. However, they use plectrums and "usually" we don't.

Really I don't know what rhythm is Diablo Rojo. I said it seems more to a Sudamerican rhythm than Spanish. Of course, it is not a bulería! ;)

Two examples, the first one is another son from Cuba: Elíades Ochoa - Píntate los labios. But the solo is the melody of an old Spanish song (Amor de hombre from the zarzuela La leyenda del beso). So... it is not easy! :?

The second is from Argentina, it is a chacarera: Mercedes Sosa - Chacarera de las piedras. The rhythm and percussion in Diablo Rojo remember to a chacarera but faster, isn't it?

Now, a list of several famous Spanish songs of the last decade. I don't know if it enough representative but all of them include a Spanish guitar. It could be pop or something similar (Spanish pop?) but some of them also include gypsy rhythms which could be near to the flamenco.

- Manolo García - Pájaros de barro
- Navajita Plateá - Noches de bohemia
- Chambao - Ahí estás tú
- Antonio Flores - Alba
- Joaquín Sabina - 19 días y 500 noches

But I'm not an expert of anything! Probably Fretsource can identify the rhythm. Or even David Hodge, I remember a post several weeks ago in which we commented on Rodrigo y Gabriela. David also made a remark in an old GN News mail.

I hope it helps! :(

I'll try to think on more Spanish songs... really I prefer another types of music (jazz, blues, rock, classical) but I'll find better examples if I speak with some friends.

Thanks! :D

ReplyQuote
(@yournightmare)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Nuno and Fretsource!

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Did you happen to notice Rodrigo Y Gabriela doing this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcE3NgV2Tyg lesson on YouTube?
Here's another where they demonstrate their rhythm technique
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvk2e9F9-Qs

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Just a comment. Rodrigo y Gabriela are Mexicans. To me, their music sounds more similar to other Caribbean/Sudamerican music than to Spanish.
I read an article about them a while back (Guitar World Acoustic Feb 2007).
They are from Mexico, and originally met when they were playing in a metal band.
After the band broke up, they went to a resort and started playing acoustic stuff for the tourists. Unfortunately, they didn't know much traditional Mexican music, so they played acoustic versions of Slayer and Metallica songs :D , and Santana covers. When they weren't playing for the tourists, they were listening to tapes of Mexican and other latin music to learn that kind of stuff.

After they got bored of that, they decided to "see the world".
First stop: Ireland.
Afetr running out of money in Ireland almost immediately (and speaking almost no English) they started busking on the streets of Dublin.

From that point the interview skips to their current style. Gabriela watched and learned from flamenco players, and Rodrigo mentioned being influenced by a group called Stunz and Farah.
They did a lot of writing while in Ireland, and added the flamenco influences into their playing, but they don't describe their own music as flamenco.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I remember I did read an interview when we was speaking some weeks ago in another post...

I think they came to Spain from Ireland. And, it's true Kent, I also remember they don't describe therir music with the flamenco.

Sorry but I don't remember where did I read it! :P

ReplyQuote
(@yournightmare)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Wow, thanks for those links kent!

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Rodrigo mentioned being influenced by a group called Stunz and Farah.

Strunz & Farah are definitely worth listening to if you like the Spanish guitar sound. I've got two of their albums Américas and Primal Magic. There's some of their music on their website - http://www.strunzandfarah.com/

P.S. Calling somebody ignorant isn't an insult - it literally just means that they don't know something. That's an opportunity to grow.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hyperborea! That sounds very good! It sounds more similar to some palo of flamenco to me. (Palo is each family or type of music in flamenco. For example, bulerías, alegrías, tangos, etc.)

Sorry but I don't remember where did I read it! :P
And your post did I remember where I did read the info. It was in the Rodrigo y Gabriela website: http://www.rodgab.com/

A couple of paragraphs (cut&paste from the History section):

Rodrigo and Gabriela describe their style as 'Fusion music': "It's mainly got Latin harmonies and rhythms but the structure is rock. It's not jazz because it's structured, and we don't improvise; our solos are exactly what's on the record, as a metal fan and guitarist you always want to hear the same f**king solo!"

Influences range from family salsa records to Gabriela's aunt's Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Queen, and Led Zeppelin vinyl, with Rodrigo also embracing a similar classic rock lineage. But, crucially, they grew up during Mexico's 'metal era.' "People expected two acoustic guitarists would play classical music, but we dropped in extracts from Led Zep, Hendrix and Metallica, then we did the same with "Stairway to Heaven!" Their music is instrumental "with very lyrical themes."
Mentions of flamenco influences raise sharp responses: "To many music fans, it sounds like flamenco, and we're great flamenco fans, but we don't play it" says Gabriela. "The only similarity is that our music is guitar music and it's very rhythmic."

And it is correct, they were here. From Ireland, they move to Denmark and then they came to Barcelona (a city in the north-east of Spain).

ReplyQuote