Clear all

Speaking of picks...

77 Posts
38 Users
0 Likes
13.5 K Views
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I use a pick about as often as Krakatoa erupts, so my advice is "use your fingers!!!!" - they're the best friends you'll ever have. And they'll always be ther for you.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Thanks all, I will grab some different ones and see what happens. :D
That's what I did.

And, in addition to being able to experiment, you'll never be stuck if you drop your pick and it disappears to the "land of the missing sock".

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I use a pick about as often as Krakatoa erupts, so my advice is "use your fingers!!!!" - they're the best friends you'll ever have. And they'll always be ther for you.....

:D :D :D

Vic

I have noticed that I like the sound of fingers better than a pick at the moment, mostly because I need practice using it but also I can hear the pick picking (if that makes sense). So not sure if I need to play louder to cover that up a bit or I just need more practice controlling the pick.

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

this is off topic but, Eirraca your avatar is Roselyn from Calvin and Hobbes right? I love that comic :lol:

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

I have noticed that I like the sound of fingers better than a pick at the moment, mostly because I need practice using it but also I can hear the pick picking (if that makes sense). So not sure if I need to play louder to cover that up a bit or I just need more practice controlling the pick.
Sometimes I notice my pick sound overmuch, too, and it really bugs me. It's as if I'm sliding the pick forward across the string before the actual picking action.

Some things I've been trying to remedy it, with mixed success depending on the day:

Rounding the tip of the pick with a fingernail clippers and file

Turning the pick and using one of the side contours instead of the tip

Holding the pick a little closer to the tip so I'm not digging so deep with it

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@number6)
Estimable Member

I just bought some medium gauge Fender Premium Celluloid picks yesterday, and I'm really liking them. The shape is a little different from what I'm used to, and it seems to help me get pinch harmonics.
this is off topic but, Eirraca your avatar is Roselyn from Calvin and Hobbes right? I love that comic :lol:

If you think that's Rosalyn, you can't love it that much. :D

The hunger site. Click once a day to give free food.

ReplyQuote
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

It's not Roselyn, its just "Mom." :D

Sometimes I notice my pick sound overmuch, too, and it really bugs me. It's as if I'm sliding the pick forward across the string before the actual picking action.

Some things I've been trying to remedy it, with mixed success depending on the day:

Rounding the tip of the pick with a fingernail clippers and file

Turning the pick and using one of the side contours instead of the tip

Holding the pick a little closer to the tip so I'm not digging so deep with it

Margaret

I will have to try those, I don't really dig I don't think...will see what happens, if those don't help I may go find something different or just go with the fingers. :D

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I've gotten thicker and thicker with age. :D

Now I experiment with Dunlop Big Stubby 3.0 and 1.0, Rosewood, Bone and Horn and Everly Star picks.

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

This weekend I was playin guitar and my picks were in another room... so I grabbed a quarter... I had the distortion set for crazy train and I noticed that using the side of the quarter it'd make kind of a siren sound rubbing it up/down on the flat (no coils) strings that was interesting... so maybe I don't totally dislike using a quarter now (it still sucks for bass, at least with round wounds).

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

I've gotten thicker and thicker with age. :D

Haven't we all? :lol:
Now I experiment with Dunlop Big Stubby 3.0 ...

:shock: I thought my 2.0mm Jim Dunlops were thick.

Since I bought my new accoustic I find it easier to play and the sound is much nicer with a thin pick. Not sure what the thickness is as it fell off the front of a magazine but it bends quiet easily. I'm looking to buy some more soon.

I still use a 2mm on my electric though.

Does anybody else find they use different thicknesses for accoustic and electric?

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Does anybody else find they use different thicknesses for accoustic and electric?

Yes, 1mm for electric, 0.60mm for acoustic.

Mostly fingerstyle for bass now, but 2.0mm Dunlop Jazztone when a pick is needed.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I can hear the pick picking (if that makes sense). So not sure if I need to play louder to cover that up a bit or I just need more practice controlling the pick.
Sometimes I notice my pick sound overmuch, too, and it really bugs me.

Try nylon picks. :)

ReplyQuote
(@yournightmare)
Estimable Member

I hardly ever use a pick, but I prefer thinner picks for strumming and thicker picks for flatpicking, as others on this thread have stated. My favorite picks, btw, are BRAIN PICKS. They have unbelievable grip. The pick WILL NOT slide around in between your fingers!

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I like Ultex after trying them (the standard 351 shape), but now Dunlop has these:

http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=334&pmh=products/picks

The only thing, nobody carries then as yet. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Ooh, pretty!

I am fairly sure the Wedgie Clear XLpicks are made of the same (or a very similar) plastic as the Ultex. They have a similar texture, similar sharp attack and brightness. They are 351-size but have the thumb indentation; I have the 1mm (which Ultex doesn't make, btw) and they are great for me.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 6