Clear all

Pick Angle When Strumming

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

What works best for you? Pick held perpendicular to the strings, or tip pointed up on downstrums and down on upstrums(relative to the ceiling). I use a .50mm pick and tend to the later style, but am thinking this may be one of the sources of lack of strumming accuracy and pick movement in my fingers.

Thanks Folks.

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

In my experience, you want the pick to lag behind the hand just a little bit. That way, you're not forcing the strum, but working with it. Like when we were younger rattling the stick across picket fences. You don't want the stick in front of you because it would get stuck in the fence.

For fast picking, hold the pick at an angle so the edge of the pick rolls off the string.

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

What works best for you? Pick held perpendicular to the strings, or tip pointed up on downstrums and down on upstrums(relative to the ceiling)

Whatever your preference is, I would maintain it on both the up and downstrokes. Otherwise, it seems you would have to "roll" your wrist in order to change the tip angle.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

With a pick as flexible as a .5mm plastic one, it'll pretty much take care of itself if you hold it perpendicularly. Don't hold it in a rigid death grip.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote