Help with learning a song please

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@mooseh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hello again everyone,
I've been a member for a while now and I recently bought a new guitar YIPEE!
So now I have a nice new Fender Telecaster my passion for playing has flared again, so me and a couple of mates get together once a week to jam.

Anyway enough of me waffling away what I came to ask is, is there any secret to working out how a song is played because I'm having real difficulty with 1 particular song. The song is "The Touch" by Stan Bush, some of you may remember it from the Transformers movie. Anyway we are looking to cover it but I just can't for the life of me work out how to play it so perhaps someone on here could point me in the right direction or at least give me some pointers.

Here's a link to the music video on youtube for anyone who isn't familiar with it :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neTfXdN6wo0

Thanks in advance

http://www.myspace.com/happinessgunpoint

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Wow, I thought I was the only one that remembers these songs. Unforunately tabs for these songs are nearly non-existent. All I can suggest is to play along by ear. If I work something out I'll post it. Maybe learn Dare while I'm at it.........

Hopefully someone more experienced will help here.

ReplyQuote
(@mooseh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I managed to work out the bass notes but a standard power chord just doesn't sound right and with my limited guitar knowledge I dont know any other way to play it. I've also tried watching how he plays it in the video but the resolution is far too low :(

http://www.myspace.com/happinessgunpoint

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I tried with power chords and it sounded ok to me. Not sure if I'd trust the video though, looks fake. For one the guitar isn't plugged in and second how is Optimus Prime at the start? He died in the movie. That's right........I'm a geek.

I used to have the tab bookmarked but that was a few computers ago. I'll keep looking though. Hopefully someone more experienced will give some advice, if not, I'll place curses on their beer.

ReplyQuote
(@number6)
Estimable Member

If you have a recording, try using a program to slow it down and loop a single chord over and over. Then, find the bass note and add more notes to it until it sounds right.

I think some of those 'power chords' might actually be minor 6th intervals. Play the normal three fingered power chord, then move your centre finger up a fret. I came across it in riff to Queen's One Vision, it took me a while to figure it out because it sounded a lot like a power chord.

Also, give major and minor chords a try as well.

The hunger site. Click once a day to give free food.

ReplyQuote