Clear all

Squier

17 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@terminator)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Does anybody know the difference between squier affinity tele and squier standart tele? Why is the standart more expensive?Any advice would do!

"No pain No gain!"- The Scorpions

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Squier is the budget brand from Fender. Affinity is the budget Squier.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

really? so is affinity nessesarily crap? Cos i can't really afford a standart squier, as it's £70 more expensive than a Affinity sqier. I need an amp e-guitar,strap, and stuff, for about 200british quid. So, is affinity much worse than STANDART?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Good question. The answer is a definite maybe.

A good Affinity is better than a crap Standard. A crap standard is better than a crap Affinity.

The only way to tell what you have is to play it.

There are, however, alternatives for a similar amount of money. Look at the Yamaha Pacifica. I believe Behringer also has a pack for that kind of cash.

Basically, the message is that there are kits out there that are the same kind of price as a Fender, but will give you better quality, because the name "Fender" isn't on the guitar. If you see something you like the look of, tell us and I'm sure that someone here has first hand knowledge, that they are willing to share.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

Well, it's hard to say, as there will be gems and lemons in just about any brand and/or model. I have an Affinity strat and, well, it's a lemon, and a sour one at that. I'm not trying to knock the whole line of these guitars, but I wouldn't buy another one. When it comes to guitars, I believe that for the most part you get what you pay for. If you could save up for something of higher quality, I'd recommend doing it. I think it's worth it in the long run. But ultimately, you need to try these things out and see what feels right for you.

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Has anyone heard of Slamer by Hamer (made in Indonesia)It's got a floyd rose, and really cheap(89£pounds).What do u think?

ReplyQuote
(@luvmytele)
Eminent Member

Best advice is to save a little.

Yamaha Pacifica (s) can be picked up fairly cheap on ebay.

The other night I saw some real bargains. With a yamaha pacifica you get alot of strat guitar for the money. Well worth a look :shock:

Also second hand squiers can go fairly cheap for what they are ... especially the early nineties models which are built quite well.

Shop around and ask around. Go to your nearest guitar shop and ask for a second hand strat type guitar and then try some. You might be surprised at what you can find for the money. Save up for the amp later ... you can always by a hohner pocket size amp and use headphones for just over £10.

It is worth saving up for a decent amp cause the best electric guitar will sound like crap through a crap amp!

Best of luck!

... that noise you hear is my Signature Sound ... lovely ain't it?

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I dont really like strats...

ReplyQuote
(@luvmytele)
Eminent Member

Sorry terminator ...

You are a tele man!

Best advice is to save! My first guitar was a mexican Fender telecaster and it was well worth saving for ... try as many guitars as possible (I like second hand guitars cause there are some real bargains out there!)

Best of luck! :oops:

... that noise you hear is my Signature Sound ... lovely ain't it?

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

But can someone tell me the ACTUAL difference between tele standart and affinity?

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

No matter how you cut it here, you're kind of sorting out the "Best Turd". Actual differences here are the place of construction and headstock decal. Hardware may be different, not sure on that one, but on both the wood is going to be "Whatever was in the shop that day".

If budget is your biggest concern, you have to go used! You could easily pick up a well used MIM strat for what you'd pay for the non-affinity new. Investigate and get the MOST for your money, don't settle for what's in front of you if it's not the best you can do.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, but here in London u hardly even get a used Gibson in a shop, and hardly any adverts in newspapers! Iknow ALL of the guitarshops in London and none of em sell cheap guitars like squier. I would love a used too! i love the old guitars whose finish has been worn a lot(and i dont mean as much as SRV's!!!)SO as u see its hard to get a cheap used copy here.

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

My teacher has a peavy raptor that he teaches with and screws around on. It seems pretty nice and its a cheap fender copy guitar. Check it out.

-Dustin

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

ufortunately, i live in England, and i dont like any unofficial copies(only epiphone, squier tele only!) :cry: :cry: :cry:

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

You can find perfectly fine Squire and Affinity Teles, bring someone along who knows what to look for and you'll find a decent one. Their quality conrol is just poor, so some stinkers sneak through, but seems to be getting better. The electronics can be a bit cheap and don't always sound that great, but it's all replacable if your ear starts to notice things you don't like.
SX (Essex in Briton, I believe) make some decent knock-offs, if you change your mind about the "Squire only" stance. The fit and finish seems better and more consistent. The neck on my SX is better than on my Fender, and that isn't bad. The electronics are cheap, which is what I expected for $100US, but it sounds great if you stay away from the flourescent lights.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2