Clear all

Standard Notation (which fret)

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@twisted_man)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

On standard notation, i know it shows what note to play but does it say what fret. For example they had an note on the top string (in standard notation) and on the tab below it said 1st Fret on the High E string. But couldnt you also play F on the 13th fret also of the same string. How does standard notation show this, or is that why they also show TAB on there?

(@hummerlein)
Estimable Member

If it doesn't specify then you can just make it up yourself. Play it how it is easiest to you, or how it makes the most sense.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Standard notation shows not only which note to play but at what pitch it is to be played. Let's take the "F", that you mention, it will be shown as being on the top line of the staff. That is the "F", which has the the frequency of 349.2Hz. That particular pitch occurs on the 1st string at the 1st fret, 2nd string at the 6th fret, 3rd string at the 10th fret, the 4th string at the 15th fret and the 5th string at the 20th fret - and nowhere else.
The "F", at the 13th fret of the high E string, has a frequency of 698.5Hz - it would either be shown as being on the 4th ledger line above the staff or, alternatively (and, probably, more often) as being on the top line of the staff, but with the annotation "8va", showing that the note is to be played an octave higher than shown.
Conversely, the F on the 4th string/ 3rd fret has a frequency of 174.6Hz - the notes (C, D, E, F,....) are interchangeable, but the pitch isn't.

Just to make life more complicated - standard notation for guitar is shown one octave higher than it, in fact, is. In "classical" standard notation, middle C is shown as being on the 1st ledger line, below the treble clef (and the 1st above the bass clef). In "guitar" notation, it is shown as being on the "space" above the centre line of the treble clef - i.e. one octave higher.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

Just to make life more complicated - standard notation for guitar is shown one octave higher than it, in fact, is. In "classical" standard notation...

That only makes things more complicated if you play many other instruments like piano and such. If you only play guitar it doesn't matter at all.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

That only makes things more complicated if you play many other instruments like piano and such. If you only play guitar it doesn't matter at all.
Not so, it depends on the type of sheet music that you have available - if it's arranged for guitar, then no problem. That, though, is not the case if you take sheet music, arranged for any other instrument.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Historically, guitar music has been written using just the treble clef, and ignoring the fact that it actually comes out one octave lower.

Are we sure we're not just making life hard for ourselves here?

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote