Clear all

string bending - up or down?

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@kachman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

The way i've learned to bend strings so far is to bend down (towards high E/ 1st string) - I was wondering if there's anything wrong with only knowing how to bend downwards. I play an acoustic and it's really difficult to push under the string and bend upwards. I'm learning to bend the 1st string up because below that and i'm off the fretboard, but the 1st string (and 2nd) is lighter and easier to push up. Anything above the 2nd string has been next to impossible to bend upwards so far, so I'm thinking if i ever have to bend on the 3rd to 6th string, i'll just go down. Wondering if I'll run into trouble with this limitation later or is this okay?

Thanks as always!

http://www.myspace.com/kachman

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Rule of thumb (so to speak), is 1st 2nd 3rd strings, push up, 4th 5th and 6th (obviously), pull down.

You should get into pushing the 3rd up though because there's lots of stuff that other guys have done that requires that particular movement.

Best regards. :)

ReplyQuote
(@kachman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Demo, I think i'll put in some more work bending the 3rd string up - found a tab where there was a bend on the 3rd string quickly followed by a fretted note on the 2nd before releasing the bend on the 3rd - this'll be impossible if i was bending the 3rd downwards into 2nd and 1st strings. I'm just having problems anchoring well enough below the string to get a good full step bend. Any tricks?

Ps. It's most difficult bending close to the neck where there's a lot more tension.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Yah, that particular lick you mentioned is one of those where you just have to bend the 3rd up (and out of the way).

Bending close to the nut you mean, right? Yah, like in first position - I still don't like bending around there. The 3rd fret and up is better - not too soft, not too stiff.

Anyhow, with any bend type thing it has a lot to do with where your thumb is and how your whole hand sorta 'rocks' or 'pivots' to make the bend. It's not a matter of that one single finger doing all the work. Like a typical 3rd string bend would use the ring finger. But though the ring finger is the one in contact with the string, the strength comes from the whole hand rocking inward - using the thumb as the pivot point - and lots of times with the index and middle fingers moving right along with the ring finger. They're not actually pushing down on the string, but they're there, ready to hold down the 2nd or first string if needbe. The ring isn't just all on its own in other words.

And, a lot of times with bending, you almost have to do the opposite of what a classical guitarist would 'properly' do. They have a different kind of vibrato and everything anyhow. But while the classical guys have their thumbs toward the middle of the back of the neck and the other fingers curved and out of the way (to prevent buzzes from the sides of fingers touching adjacent strings), when you're doing electric or even steel string and are doing string bends, you don't keep your fingers curved and arched like that, and sometimes the thumb comes up the the side of the neck (facing you) so it can act like the pivot. It's too waaay different ways of fingering notes but they're both valid. They're both good to get into as well.

But for this kind of bending, the thumb is up, the fingers aren't that arched, and the whole hand is pivoting on that thumb, almost like it was hanging on a ledge by the thumb and just going back and forth.

I hope this wasn't too weird and confusing :)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Another rule of thumb....if you're going to bend strings a lot, USE LIGHT STRINGS!!!!

I like to play a lot of blues, involves a lot of bending....I would never use anything heavier than 9's....

Vic.

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Another rule of thumb....if you're going to bend strings a lot, USE LIGHT STRINGS!!!!

I like to play a lot of blues, involves a lot of bending....I would never use anything heavier than 9's....

Vic.

:shock:

Vic - I can't use anything lighter than 10's! Last time I put a set of 9's on my Strat they went from new to broken before the first set was done. Lost the B and then the G string trying to finish a lead four songs from the end.

I do tend to spank the Strat a bit so she'll sing for me :roll:

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Oh - and regarding string bends. . .

Whichever way gets the job done :twisted:

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I'll agree with Moonrider,

Depends on what I'm playing, how I'm coming into and were I'm going after the bend, and what I want it to sound like. If I find myself in the situation were I need to bend it more and to create the sound that will fit with what I'm playing and I pulled instead of pushed I'll use the Floyd Rose to give me that extra.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@kachman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've been practicing pushing up using the bends in "wish you were here" solo, i think im slowly getting it. I always used to pull down before. How do you guys bend when playing this song (if you've played it)?

ReplyQuote