Clear all

String bending

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@bmxdude)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Is it true that you need two or more fingers on a string when you preform a bend, and should you use the same none finger moving wrist motion that you use for vibratos, or is it O.K. to use your fingers to bend the strings.

"The answer is practice.
Now, what's the question?"
Words by David Mead.

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

How many fingers you need depends on the strength of your fingers. Stevie Ray Vaughan managed bends on amazingly heavy strings (his high E was generally .13). He could bend those with one or two fingers. Most people find it diffcult to bend 9's satisfactorily.

Yes, you really need to use a wrist action, rather than a pure finger action.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@bmxdude)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have .11-.50s. And thanks.

"The answer is practice.
Words by David Mead.

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

For a whole step bend, I use 3 fingers. I keep my fingers locked in place and use my wrist to bend. Like turning a doornob. I use 9's or 10's for string size. The hard part is bending to the correct pitch!

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

It is possible to do it just with your fingers, but if you want to add vibrato to your bend you really need to do it the proper way: using your wrist insetad of the fingers. I have the same gauge as you have and I find it VERY tough to do a proper vibrato on a full bend. :cry:

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

I've got 9's on my esp and I ussually can't get a full bend to sound right without using two fingers. I pretty much always just use my fingers to bend and then use the wrist for the vibrato.

When doing huge bends say on a 7th fret, I put my ring finger on 7, then my middle on 6 to bend, my middle finger stays a little higher to move the next string out of the way so I don't get any unwanted sounds out of it. You don't need to do this on half or ussually full bends, but if you wanna go past that I recommend this technique.

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@bmxdude)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanx for the help. I've almost got it down.

"The answer is practice.
Words by David Mead.

ReplyQuote
(@armistice)

The solo from Another Brick in the Wall has a 2.5 step bend on the 13th fret of the B string - I can do it on 10s but not 11s - takes all three fingers. I find I always bend with my ring finger anyway.

Vibrato on a bend is different from a non bend. With a non bend you just hold the note and shake your wrist along the direction of the fretboard - on a bend you vibrato by actually bending and unbending a little amount quickly, ie. moving your hand at 90 degress to the direction of the fretboard. Different technique entirely.

Of course you can use the bend vibrato technique on a non bend note but you can't vibrato as fast that way. I like starting out (on a non bend note) with a slow vibrato, then speeding up a lot and speeding down again - sounds very dynamic - hard to do with the bending technique.

Luck

ReplyQuote