Clear all

string buzz

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@rhcpfan)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hello, I tried to change my string by use some slack and first time goes underneath then for the rest over, but every time there are some unwanted buzzes. can someone explain what could be the problem?

EDIT: forgot to mention It's for the electric.

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I tried to change my string by use some slack and first time goes underneath then for the rest over,

Not sure what you're saying. Got a picture?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@rhcpfan)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

better yet, a movie:P http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgVAhI8PqPU&mode=related&search=

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

I've never seen strings wrapped like that. I always give myself plenty of slack, especially for the 'smaller' strings and and wrap em all underneath.

Of course I also use a winding machine...very simple plastic crank kind of thing, I usually have 4-6 wraps of string around the post (smaller strings) and 3-4 wraps of the larger "wound" strings. When I get to the point where the string tension starts the strings usually 'lock' around the posts.

Of course while I'm cranking away on the tuners, I always fret the strings at the first fret to keep some tension on them and I do a 'ghost' fret behind the nut to keep the string path low almost against the headstock or pegboard.

Even still, if you have good wrap around your tuning pegs the buzz could come from somewhere else. I'd trouble shoot the buzz before I worried about the wrap of the strings on the pegs.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

I'd trouble shoot the buzz before I worried about the wrap of the strings on the pegs. Yes, isolate exactly where the buzz is coming from; maybe it is one of the frets, or possible the neck needs a setup now, after the string change, esp. if you changed string gauges from what they were previously.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Winding the strings as shown in the video likely isn't the problem.

Are the new strings a lighter gauge than the prior ones? That will cause the neck to straighten out and can lead to buzzing. Sounds like you need to have it set up.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@rhcpfan)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

the problem was that I removed all the strings, I did not know I should restring them one at a time, but when I put all the new strings on, there were no buzzes anymore. thanks for the reply's anyways.

ReplyQuote