Clear all

String buzzing

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@snwbrdnegtrst)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Alright, I promise to not be such a pest once I'm up and running... My guitar has developed a very annoying buzz while I'm playing pretty much any chord (Em, A, G are about all I really know so far). I'm sure that I'm pressing down plenty hard on the frets and if anything I'd say the action is a little on the high side. I looked at the bridge area and noticed that it appears to be chipped a little bit by the B string. Could this be the culprit? I have a picture that I took with a macro lens, but I can't figure out how to up load it...
The guitar was a gift from Guitar Center so God knows what kind of treatment it received before it made its way to me... Is this as easy as maybe slapping some new strings on there or do I need to go visit a repair shop/luthier?

All the world's a stage, but the play is poorly cast

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

To post the image, you'll have to have an internet host. If you don't already have one, google "image hosting" and you'll find dozens of them.
Upload the image to the host site (they'll have instructions on how to do this). Enter the address of the image into your browser and make sure that it is found - if it is, you'll see the image on the screen. Make sure that the image is not going to be too big to fit into the board window. If it is, reduce the size of the image and upload again. I would suggest an absolute maximum size of 800 pixels along the longest side of the image - 640 would be better.

Copy the entire url (address) from your browser (http.//........).

When posting your image, click on the "Img" button, at the top of the text box, it will create the necessary tags and position the cursor between them. Now, just paste the url of the image.
Click on "Img" button gives {Img}{/Img} with the cursor between the innermost brackets.
Paste your image url: {Img} {/Img}

Please note that I've substituted curly brackets for the square ones that the board generates.

The result of the above link is:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I'm sure that I'm pressing down plenty hard on the frets

I hope you are not literally pressing the string down ON the fret. it is important to put your finger Behind the fret. that way the string bends down and over the fret .

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@snwbrdnegtrst)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Greybeard-Thanks for that info, as soon as I get home I'll post the picture up
Dogbite- I am postioned towards the fronts of the frets, as per the instruction that I've received, but not touching the actual metal fret with any finger.

ReplyQuote
(@pilot)
Estimable Member

I don't think I've posted the link here for a few years now, but you're welcome to use my (100% free!) image uploader. I set it up for another forum I frequent but I have no problem at all with folks here using it too. It's been up and running for almost 8 years now...and unless I wake up dead some morning and nobody pays my hosting bill, it should be there for the foreseeable future. :lol:

http://www.hooverae.com/upload/uploader.php

Choose your picture, hit the "Upload File" button, and then just use the link it spits out in conjunction with greybeard's instructions. :)

ReplyQuote
(@apache)
Reputable Member

I'm no expert by a long shot, but it could be that the strings are too low?

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Alright, I promise to not be such a pest once I'm up and running... My guitar has developed a very annoying buzz while I'm playing pretty much any chord (Em, A, G are about all I really know so far). I'm sure that I'm pressing down plenty hard on the frets and if anything I'd say the action is a little on the high side. I looked at the bridge area and noticed that it appears to be chipped a little bit by the B string. Could this be the culprit? I have a picture that I took with a macro lens, but I can't figure out how to up load it...
The guitar was a gift from Guitar Center so God knows what kind of treatment it received before it made its way to me... Is this as easy as maybe slapping some new strings on there or do I need to go visit a repair shop/luthier?

This link hasn't posted in a while. Most comprehensive buzz diagnosis page out there . . .

http://www.frets.com/fretspages/luthier/Technique/Setup/BuzzDiagnosis/buzzintro.html

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@staffan)
Estimable Member

Check that the neck is adjusted accordingly with the climate/air humidity. These variables change over the course of the year, depending on where you´re located, and if this string-buzzing noise has appeared "all of a sudden" then this might be a culprit.

Go to a guitar shop and have them out the neck set-up (and anything else they might find).

Best Regards,
/Staffan

AAAFNRAA
- Electric Don Quixote -

ReplyQuote
(@snwbrdnegtrst)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

So I just realized that I never got around to posting the picture :oops: ... While I've attributed (rather a very patient sales person at GC did) most of the buzz to poor fretting technique (not pushing hard enough, go figure :roll: )I still have a lot of trouble getting any chord on the 2nd string to sound very clearly so... here's the pic, let me know what you think

I replaced the strings myself with something a little lighter than what was on there and that has helped, but I'm still concerned about the groove the B string has worn.

ReplyQuote
(@sean0913)
Trusted Member

Based upon what I am seeing I wouldn't be concerned at the saddle side of the neck. Two things come to mind...one is your neck straightness. Sight down the top of the neck like you were aiming at a deer to shoot it, while looking towards a bright light source. Is the neck straight, humped or bowed? Is it a little of both? (warped) The second is what does the nut look like in terms of strings being close to the frets?

Sean

Guitar Instructor/Mentor
Online Guitar School for Advanced Players
http://rnbacademy.com

ReplyQuote
(@snwbrdnegtrst)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

The neck appears pretty straight, maybe just a slight upward curve as you approach the head... The grooves in the nut are fairly deep, there is only about a .6mm pick clearance between the string at the first fret but by the time you've reached the 20th fret it is around 1/8"... it sounds like I just need to bite the bullet and take it back to GC to have it re-setup

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

A pro setup, until you know how to do your own setups, is often money well spent. I'm wondering about your grooves in the nut as well- it sounds like they're pretty low (too low? Hard to say.) and pretty deep. (A frequeny mistake- if the strings are too High at the nut, they shouldn't just cut the grooves deeper- can lead to binding, buzzing, and all kinds of nonsense. But a lot of techs do this, and plenty of guitars come from the factory with the strings buzzing around in badly cut nuts.)

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote