Clear all

string muting

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@jeremyd)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

i was looking at some tab today from a song i like and i noticed there was a muted note in between 2 notes....

x

what is the reason for this

(@diceman)
Reputable Member

It means they don't want it to sound so you keep it from sounding by touching it with one of your fretting fingers . Octaves are played this way and have a very distinct sound used often in rock solos for a neat effect .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@iliketheguitar)
Estimable Member

Mute the second string with your index finger. Just bring sown enough to touch the string. I like the sound of octaves a lot. My Chemical Romance uses them a lot.

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

Good advice Ilikethguitar, using your index finger to mute the string is the best way I've found to do it.

And if I'm not mistaken, Greenday use a set of 4 different 'octave chords' (or whatever they are really called) for the intro part of 'Holiday'.

They do give off a different sound to the 'full power chord', and can be used to produce some pretty cool little riffs inbetween heavier parts of rock songs (of course, thats just one use).

Have a play with the chords, you might find they are a new 'weapon' to add to your guitar arsenal :lol:

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

For cool use of octaves - check out Wes Montgomery

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Yea, just mute the B string with your finger ont he 12th fret.

ReplyQuote
(@jeremyd)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

ilikeguitar - i guess you dont notice my MCR avatar! muhahah i understand how to mute the string i was just curious as to why it would be done thanks guys

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

ilikeguitar - i guess you dont notice my MCR avatar! muhahah i understand how to mute the string i was just curious as to why it would be done thanks guys

And no one ever said why: So you can play the alternate (octave) strings with a single pick stroke (or thumb stroke a la Wes Montgomery :wink: ) across all three strings and not hear the muted center string. Otherwise, you would have to do it by fingerstyle or hybrid picking.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@jeremyd)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

if you hybrid picking using the pick and a finger wouldnt the noted you hit with your finger not ring as loud as the one you picked?

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

if you hybrid picking using the pick and a finger wouldnt the noted you hit with your finger not ring as loud as the one you picked?

Well, you could pick normally and pluck harder...
Or, pick soflty and pluck a little harder...

Getting the sound to be balanced is all down to practice, and while one string will inevitabley sound louder than the other, the same thing would happen if you used your thumb and not a pick (though not to the same degree), especially as it is a bass string, and is therefore thicker, giving a louder tone anway.

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@jeremyd)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

thanks again

ReplyQuote