Notifications
Clear all

string noise I can't controll

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@progtastic-mate)
Topic starter  

I have owned a guitar since I was about 14 (that was a long time ago) over the last 18 months or so I have started to play regularly and really enjoy it, I'm still a long way from being to make the sounds I want to, but am really enjoying playing.

However I have come up aganst a problem that I don't seem to be able to solve.

When playing lead stuff I don't seem to be able to mute the stings I am not playing sucessfully. I have worked on this for some time and tried loads of different things, action up action down, different hand positions, less gain more gain, but I just cant seem to get it right. I think I may be missing something. I notice that my right hand (pick hand) gets very tense especially when learning faster stuff, which may be due to a lack of confidence.

I know I have decades of bad habits to overcome and my problem may just be simple and basic technique stuff.

If anyone has any ideas or advice about this I would be very grateful to hear from you.

Thanks

Simon

I may not be very good, but I just love it

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i think the best thing to do is to play slowly and isolate when the problem occurs, and figure out a solution at that point, instead of when playing fast, when you have a lot more on your mind.
make sure you're only picking the notes you want to sound. you can muffle other strings with your left hand or your right hand. if you notice, most lead players keep their hands close to the strings. a lot of the time, they're muffling the other strings with their hands. it should feel natural, just a light touch with the side of your right palm or maybe a fingertip that's fretting a higher string on your left hand.

ReplyQuote