Clear all

Stringing a classical guitar

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@sixstringnoob)
Topic starter  

Hello,
I have a weird question about nylon strings. I recently replaced the strings on my classical with a new set of D'addario's. This is the first re-stringing I have done on that guitar.
I believe I did everything correctly, but the strings go out of tune every day when I am not playing - ie. If I pick up the guitar tomorrow it will be massively out of tune.

Could this just be because of string stretch? If so, how long should it take for the strings to stop doing this? Its been about 3 days now, and each day they are still way out and I keep re-tuning, but next day they are all
out again.

Or ... did I do something wrong when stringing it? Should I have put more tension on them while winding up the machine heads or something?

Edit - I should add that I always have to tune "up" - which is what is making me think that the strings are stretching.

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

It's string stretch.

Nylon strings can take weeks to settle in. But on the plus side, you don't have to change them very often - they'll last for months. The bass (wound) strings will lose intonation first; I often change just the bass strings on my classicals, and do the trebles with every other set.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Yes, the strings take some time to settle. I usually go nuts tuning the guitar after I am done re-stringing.

Just wait for a day or two and keep on tuning endlessly. It may stretch the strings faster.

Here is a great article to guide you in re-stringing.

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

Look on the plus side of this;

1) You can tell its out of tune (always a good sign!)
2) You get lots of practice tuning up!

Once they settle in, they'll last you a while (at the last count I believe that the nylon's on my mums classical are 12 years old!! OK so thats pushing it a *little*, but they will last you a few months before going 'off' :D)

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

(at the last count I believe that the nylon's on my mums classical are 12 years old!! OK so thats pushing it a *little*, but they will last you a few months before going 'off' :D)

Pete

Can I have those strings, Pete ? :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

Can I have those strings, Pete? :lol:

Sure thing Rahul, just swing by southern UK sometime and they're all yours :lol:

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Have you guys seen this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98tEv7xtgkI

ReplyQuote