Notifications
Clear all

strings

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Reactions
(@kelta)
Topic starter  

do the type of strings you have make a big difference in sound quality? I'm asking because I have nylon strings on my guitar and it sounds like crap when I strum. Picking sounds fine, but strumming doesn't. I always thought it sounded fine but after playing on the guitars in my class (they have steel strings) I've noticed this. I sound like such a better guitar player at school.. hah.

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Do you have a classical guitar? It sounds like you do.

I don't know if you can put steel strings on a classical and visa versa with an acoustic (nylon on acoustic). Doesn't the nylon string have a loop on it instead of a ball?

ReplyQuote
(@evolution)
Estimable Member

Putting steel strings on a classical would not be a smart idea. Steel strings put a lot more pressure onthe guitar and would end up breaking a classical guitar, but you can put nylon strings on a reuglar steel string acoustic may not sound as good as a classical one it still works though.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

A set of six steel strings puts well over 300 pounds of tension on the guitar. A set of nylon strings, about 160.

Classical guitars are built with thin tops and light bracing. Put steel strings on and you'll rip the bridge off, and possibly a big chunk of the top.

If you put nylon strings on a guitar built for steel you'll need a truss rod adjustment - the neck relief will be way off for the light tension.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Nylon and steel strings sound way different. It could be your classical guitar is very mediocre, or you just prefer the sound of steel string guitars. Get yourself to a local shop and play some good classical and western guitars and see which you like best.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

and too follow up on Noteboat's post, the Nylon string tension won't be enough to drive the top properly.

ReplyQuote