Clear all

Strings to loose?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@djanvk)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Is it possible for a electric guitar to have strings that are in tune according to the tuner but to loose? My strings seen to keep making sound to long after I play the chord...Hope I'm explaining this correctly, but I play a chord and it just seems like the reverb is on but it's turned all the way down to 1.

Any thoughts.

Thanks

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Sustain on an electric will go on for days and days.....compared to an acoustic guitar.

If your strings 'SLAP' against the fretboard then yes they're wayyyy too lose.

One way to tell, tune them up a few steps...SLOWLY!!! ... E to F or G, if the string tension starts getting too tight loosen em back down to the correct note.

Generally string tension on an electric isn't the same as on an acoustic.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Turn down the gain of your guitar amp, and learn to mute the strings with both your picking and fretting hands to stop the ringing.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

Yeah, it's a different playing on an electric.

My first guitar was electric, and I played it unplugged at first cause I was not able to control the sound. Like Ricochet said, you have to learn how to mute the string.

Maybe you should look at your wrist

When you play accoustic guitar, your wrist can be "far" from the body, but when you play electric, your wrist is suppose to touch the body of the guitar so that you can mute and control the string easily .. That's the way I learned it

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

ReplyQuote
(@djanvk)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Great, thanks for the information, I have a lesson tomorrow and I just switched to the electric so I will see how that goes.

ReplyQuote