Notifications
Clear all

Syllable Strumming problem

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@kozak)
Topic starter  

Hello, this is my first post here, and I hope you guys can give me some useful advice.

I have been playing guitar for a few month now, im not out to become a virtuoso or anything I mainly just want to learn to play my favorite songs. So far it has been going quite well, at least the playing part, however I am having trouble singing along with my strumming. I am absolutely compelled to strum on every syllable of the song, trying to keep a strumming pattern that does non match the singing is something akin to trying to pat your head while rubbing your stomach, but of course much worse.

What I did in order to remedy this is, I picked a very easy strumming pattern with just 4 chords that stays the same throughout the song, learned it really well, maybe its not completely automatic but I definitely have it down well. But still as I open my mouth my hand automatically strums the syllables. Its not surprising I suppose because even when i listen to music i always tap the syllables of the lyrics with my fingers not the guitar or the drum beat. But anyway i was hoping you guys may have some tips to help me out with this.

Oh, also this does not seem to be an issue when I am picking, or when doing the waltzlike (bass, strum, strum bass, strum, strum) thing that is common in Russian bard songs which i like to play. Not sure why because i would expect the same issue.

Anyway thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers

Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

It's normal. Can you rub your head and pat your stomach at the same time? Could you the first time you tried? JUst takes practice.

Same for strumming and singing. Practice, practice.

One thing I find helpful is to actually write out the lyrics and the strumming pattern together- it's easier (for me) to get it right some times by knowing where I sing and where I strum. If I just start strumming, then start singing, sooner or later they tend to fall into the same rhythm. BUt If I know, start singing just before the third strum, sing ___notes between the 1st and 2nd beat...it helps.

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@sean0913)
Trusted Member

I am an aspiring singer/songwriter. I've played guitar since about 1986, but I started teaching myself to sing and play in 2008. I can tell you, that for me playing and singing at the same time, is one of the most challenging things Ive ever done musically. My advise is with anything that you are trying to learn, practice it bar by bar slowly...not at speed...until it feels easy, then gradually, increase the tempo while keeping it very slow. Your tempo, ideally is the one in which you can play and control every facet, including your singing.

It takes a bit of time to do so, as I said, its by far the most challenging thing I have tried as a musician. Im in awe and wonder at those who can play a challenging passage while singing simultaneously...

Sean

Guitar Instructor/Mentor
Online Guitar School for Advanced Players
http://rnbacademy.com

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

After three years of playing, I still can't do it except when I play along with some recordings. It's something I guess that comes in time. Siggi Mertens described it as learning to get your right hand going so that you don't even think about your strumming pattern... your hand is working automatically, by itself. There's an article on this site about needing "two brains" to do it.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote