Clear all

Tabbing by ear...

11 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@geek-in-the-pink)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi!! I'm new hear, and have been playing guitar for about 3 1/2 months, but I can't really figure out how to tab/ play by ear. If any one could help me out that would be great!!!
Thanks.

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Not really sure what you mean as those are 2 different things (unless i misunderstand)
tabbing(sp?) is a system of notation thats based on the fingerboard rather than the standard music scale,
and playing by ear is basically guessing as you go along without any form of written guide.
could you be more specific?

btw, welcome to GN!

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@geek-in-the-pink)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Sorry, I ment playing by ear, guessing the song, then writing it down, so learning how to tab by ear would be a more appropiate name for this post. Oops!

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Sorry, I ment playing by ear, guessing the song, then writing it down, so learning how to tab by ear would be a more appropiate name for this post. Oops!
It really does take awhile to start to recognize chords and notes when you are listening to a song. So, your only choice is to learn the notes on the fretboard and play them over and over until you know them well enough to recognize them in a song.

Welcome to GN

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

By the way, the word for learning a song by ear then writing it down (in tab or standard notation) is transcription.

ReplyQuote
(@deanobeano)
Reputable Member

Welcome :D :D :D

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

you have to be able to separate out the guitar from the rest of the music by ear. isolate that one instrument in your head, and listen to it carefully until you can hear what it's doing. then, it's a whole lot of pause, play, pause, rewind, play, pause, etc.

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

I am still really struggling with this as well, but it really helps if you have your guitar in your hand while you are playing/pausing/rewinding. That way, you can try to match the tones. It is kind of obvious, but since no one said it, I thought I would go ahead and state the obvious..

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

If you can get the music into your computer, this piece of software will slow it down:
http://www.ronimusic.com/amsldowin.htm

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Windows Media Player version 9.0 or above will also slow the playback without altering pitch.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Being able to recognise chord progressions, melody lines etc, is one of things that comes to you over time...learning a whole bunch of songs helps, once you recognise certain styles and progression, you'll be able to recognise where they fit into other songs. There are loads of fairly easy songs on the Easy Song Database" - might be an idea to start there....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote