Clear all

Tell me if I am making progress

18 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@dilettante84)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have been trying to get booked for some guitar lessons for a while now, and having a hard time, seems everyone I call is booked up.

In the meantime I have been recording myself in an effort to better recognize progress I make, on the assumption that it would be easier to tell if I had a record of how bad things were, instead of going my memory.

But I still can't really tell.

This is a recording I made about a week ago. http://members.shaw.ca/dilettante84/recordingmarch25.mp3

And this is one I made today. http://members.shaw.ca/dilettante84/guitarplayingapril1.mp3

Neither sound very good, but I would appretiate if a few of you could give them a listen and let me know if you hear improvement.

(@terminator)
Reputable Member

hey dilettante84! Certanly i c lots of progress there! ure doin' just FINE! I am not joking! Horse with n name sounds very close to the original.v How ;png have u been playin?

"No pain No gain!"- The Scorpions

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

There's some sorta effect on the second one(dont remembe what one though), and you played it faster one the second one. There was a tiny bit of strumming problems on the first, but you clear it up on the second. Overall, preatty good, keep it up! :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@rosscopecotrain)
Eminent Member

i literaly started that lesson 30 minutes before i seen your post , mines sounding pretty terrible at the moment ! how long did it take you roughly to get it sounding like that on the 2nd week ? i dont get where david says when u go down before the next up to lay your hands on the strings , does he mean as soon as you have played the downstroke lay your hand over the strings or does it mean something different because when i do it after the downstroke it sounds pretty awful!
well anyway thats good going i hope someday soon mine sounds like that instead of a garbled mess that it is now

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

To me it sounds like you are playing with more confidence in your second clip. That will make your overall performance sound much better.
Good job.

ReplyQuote
(@rosscopecotrain)
Eminent Member

ok so i just had another crack at it and i think i got it , after you play the one downstroke then have the 4 upstrokes i take it that straight after you play an upstroke thats when you lay your hand over the strings , right ?? ive been laying my pinky over the strings , is this correct or is there a better way ?? sorry if i sound stupid but i picked up my first guitar last week and really dont know very much about playing the bloody thing !!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Always slow rhythm patterns down to the speed at which you can play them perfectly. If you can't make a chord change in time, slow down til you can.

You'll speed up really quickly.

Dilettante, where are you looking for lessons? What area?

I'm taking on new students in the Washington DC area.

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

I;m not familiar with this lesson but from what your saying rosco, it sounds like you want a palm mute. It's a little more tricky on an acoustic than an electric. With the acoustic palm mute the correct way to achieve this is to almost hit the strings with your pick and the fleshy part of the bottom of your hand. This will sound out the cord but it will be rather muffled, dont be discouraged if u cant get it right away but once u master this technique u will use it allot.

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
 gene
(@gene)
Estimable Member

Your newest recording sounds much smoother, good progress, keep it up.

ReplyQuote
(@dilettante84)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

There's some sorta effect on the second one(dont remembe what one though), and you played it faster one the second one. There was a tiny bit of strumming problems on the first, but you clear it up on the second. Overall, preatty good, keep it up! :)

There some chorus and reverb on the second, and I turned the tone controls all the way down on my amp and guitar, to soften the sound. It's hard because the effects sound completley different through the line out on my amp than they do through it's speaker.

ReplyQuote
(@dilettante84)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Dilettante, where are you looking for lessons? What area?

I'm taking on new students in the Washington DC area.

Afraid I am clear across the continent and in another country, but thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@dilettante84)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

i literaly started that lesson 30 minutes before i seen your post , mines sounding pretty terrible at the moment ! how long did it take you roughly to get it sounding like that on the 2nd week ? i dont get where david says when u go down before the next up to lay your hands on the strings , does he mean as soon as you have played the downstroke lay your hand over the strings or does it mean something different because when i do it after the downstroke it sounds pretty awful!
well anyway thats good going i hope someday soon mine sounds like that instead of a garbled mess that it is now
Take heart, mine sounded like a garbled mess for a long time before it clicked as to what I was supposed to be doing. I find it very heard to leanr without visual cues. The after I figired out what the techinique was, it took a long time longer before it sounded half decent.

Now that I have horse with no name learned to some degree I am trying to move on to another song, but i will need to leanr more chords now.... hehe....

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

which country?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Nick..... "Have guitar, Will travel" LOL

Anybody who gets that has to be a geezer like me! 8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Oh oh, I get it.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2