10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi!

I have an important question here...

I kept my guitars in my room but I moved them to the basement a few months ago. My accoustic started to make some buzzing sound when I play on the 12th fret. I got an electric guitar and when I tried it at the shop, it was perfect. But 2 or 3 days later, in the basement at home, it started to make some buzzing sound.

I got another electric later, much better (a great Ibanez that cost me over 500$)... I put it in the basement and the day after, I got some buzzing sound! I finally understand that my basement may be the problem... And I made some ajustment on the neck... I was scared to do something wrong, and finally repair it myself...

Now, I keep my Ibanez in my room, but I have to play in the basement cause I don't have enough place in my bedroom... I would like to keep all my guitars in the basement, will be much easier if my Ibanez was always plugged in the amp... but it seems that 1 night there affect the neck and that produce some buzzing sound

Do you have some solution for me? What's the best temperature, humidity percentage, etc for my guitars?

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

(@tyler-n)
Trusted Member

I heard keeping the humdity around 40, is ideal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TxmW-rIGFA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAvejpRYsQM
my idol

ReplyQuote
(@tyler-n)
Trusted Member

actually may I add to your topic Clau?

I kinda wanted to ask the guys about winter care for your guitars...

Toronto gets pretty cold, I was told to get a humidifier .... but cash is low

so how do you guys maintain I guess without one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TxmW-rIGFA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAvejpRYsQM
my idol

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Get a humidifier, if your guitar is more than 100 $.

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Hi Clau
Get a thermometer and hygrometer to check temperature and humidity in your rooms.
The basement room may not be the room with wrong temp and humidity for a guitar, it may just be different to your bedroom. The good thing with basements (few windows and isolative walls) is that temperature and humidity is more stable over the day/night and summer/winter.
The worst thing for a wooden guitar (acoustic guitars especially) is excessive heat and dryness or big changes in temp and humidity.
check this http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/care.htm
/kalle

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

actually may I add to your topic Clau?

I kinda wanted to ask the guys about winter care for your guitars...

No problem Tyler. I know what you're talking about.. I'm from Montreal, so winter is pretty cold here too! :wink:

Thanks for your advice Kalle. I have all that you suggest, but now I know what temperature and humidity is the best for my guitars! :) I have a humidifier, but it's an old one and that makes so much noise that I can't hear me playing guitar while it's working :lol:

I thought it was my own

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've seen lots of things preserved in jars of formalin.

Never tried that with a guitar.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

You can also get "guitar humidifiers" - little devices that you stick in your guitar and store both guitar and guitar humidifier in the guitar case. The winers get very dry here and it won't be long before many of my guitars move to the "winter home" of their cases...

Most guitar humidifiers won't set you back more than $20 US.

Peace

David

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

I am a born and raised "Tranna" guy. It won't be the cold in the Toronto winter but the heat in the house that will be the problem. Much of the heating in Toronto will be forced air (or in older buildings hot water radiators) which will dry out the already dry winter air (cold winter air holds less moisture than warmer air). When it get heated and no moisture is added back in then you get warm dry air which will cause problems for anything made of wood.

As has already been said get an inexpensive guitar humidifer and keep the guitar in the case with that humidifier. If you don't already have a humidifier as part of the house forced air heat then you could always leave out bowls or pots filled with water to help the air in the room with the guitars. If you've got a radiator then you could leave that bowl or pot on top of the radiator (helps to get more moisture in the air).

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Does a guitar humidifier could work in a soft case for electric guitar?

I thought it was my own

ReplyQuote