Clear all

The "Feel" of the song...

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@stan-ton)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

When some say they just 'get the feel' for the song does that mean they play it without any specofic strum pattern and just follow the song...?
I have alway stuck with strum patterns but sometimes the song does not always sound the way it should..

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Yes, that's exactly what they do. If it sounds good, it is good.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

Hi mate

here is my bit of answer

it is important to notice that almost every song could be played with a lot of different patterns, what really means is to get the proper resolution and to play the chords for the exact amount of beats. I mean let's take a quite simple song like U2's "One": the orginal recording is based upon sixteen notes resolution (well there are at least three differnt guitars on the cd)

Having said so every possible pattern based on sixteen notes works fine. Also you could play a slower version if you play it with a syncopated eight notes pattern like D/du/u/du or d/du/u/d.

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@tkn_dk)
Trusted Member

I usually strum as the mood hits me. I feel pretty confident with my chord changes and keeping the beat, so I find that I can think a few strums ahead, and throw in an extra one or "miss" one just for the effect. Keeps the songs fresh and fun to play.

If you have no idea what pattern to start with, play along with a recording. Don't worry about playing the same as the recording (as long as your tempo and chord changes match up), just strum what feels right to you. That's what I do.

All I want is food and creative love.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I have alway stuck with strum patterns but sometimes the song does not always sound the way it should..
Playing someone else's song is 99% interpretation. If you just go out to play a song the same as the original then your imagination, your inventiveness, your ability, and the unique touch only "you" can give that song have all gone AWOL.

Far better to give a song your own interpretation - let's call it "getting a feel" for it.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I agree with everyone for the most part. I usually strum songs my own way. However, there are times when you have to play a strum exactly.

An example is a cover we play of Loser by Three Doors Down. The chorus has a very unusual feel to it. You change on the upbeat I believe. It was very difficult for me to get this chord change down at first, it feels very unusual for Rock music. But you must play this correctly to get the real feel for the chorus.

I do not worry too much about the exact strum during the verses, but I play the chorus exactly like the recording. Took a little practice, but now it feels completely natural for me.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote