theory questions

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@briank)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have a few theory questions:

I'm going to use triads because it is simple and one of the few things I understand. A major triad is made of a root note (I), the root note's major third interval (III), and III's minor third interval (V).
So the components of a C major triad would be C, E, and G.
In my short experience, this seems to be the most popular C major chord:

E A D G B E (strings)
X 3 2 0 1 0
X C E G C E (resulting notes)

But why can't it be played this way?

E A D G B E (strings)
X X X 0 1 0
X X X G C E (resulting notes)

It has all the components necessary, and it would be a lot easier to switch chords. It doesn't seem to have as much “depth” to it, though.

On the same topic, why isn't the C major chord played this way?

E A D G B E (strings)
0 3 2 0 1 0
E C E G C E (resulting notes)

That would be, in my opinion, easier to strum because you don't have to focus on stopping before the low E string.

Now, if the aim of chord formation, for triads at least, is to get as many of the I, III, and V notes as possible, then why not use all strings? Does the accepted C major chord (at the top) have some sort of reason for not using another E? If someone experienced understands this, and can reply, I would be very thankful. I consider myself the type of person who has to know why things work, so can someone tell me triad chord formation works?

"All I see is draining me on my Plastic Fantastic Lover!"

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

From my own limited experience I have seen the C chord played in all 3 ways you described.
Technically all are correct.
Typically chords are played with the root being the lowest tone played.
Hence the 5 string C chord with C being played on the 5th string.
There are a number of different voicings for any chord.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

You can play a C major chord xxx010 - it has all the elements needed for a triad. People strumming open chords most often use x32010 because it gives a fuller sound.

When I teach very young beginners - under 8-9 years old - I start them with simple chords like that:

C = xxx010
G = xxx003
G7 = xxx001

It's enough to get them making music and having fun at it within the first few minutes. We can then add the other fingers in the next lesson, as part of making things sound 'better'.

How many notes you use for a chord depends on the type of music you're playing, and the other instruments you're playing with. Rock calls for big sounds - 5 or 6 strings - while jazz calls for space to allow the other instruments to do their thing. I rarely play more than 4 notes per chord in a jazz situation, and sometimes as few as two - just enough tones to maintain the harmony (for example, if the chord is Am7, I might just play C-G#, trusting the bass to fill in the root, and leaving out the fifth completely)

If you've got three different notes, though, and they're spaced in thirds, you've got a chord, no matter how you play it.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

(for example, if the chord is Am7, I might just play C-G#, trusting the bass to fill in the root, and leaving out the fifth completely)

With a G#, that would be an Aminmaj7, not an Am7, right?

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yep. Sorry for the typo :)

ReplyQuote
(@briank)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

but a 6-string C chord would be easier to strum up and down, and I am trying to play more rock-ish type of music, so would playing it with all 6 strings be all right?

so what i could do, with my newfound knowledge of the major scales and whatnot, is change all chords to be able to play them, without barres, on the first 5 frets or so, without any different tuning. i know, i gotta learn to barre sooner or later, but it should help me with chord changes. . . plus it's should be a challenge to use my knowledge. . . i could post my findings on here to doublecheck with the resident pros in here. my goal is to make all 'new' formations of all major chords to start out with. if anyone objects, please tell me.

another question, if you were to move the entire chord up an octave (12 frets) it would sound higher, but the chord name would stay the same, right? what's with that?

and another question. . . sometimes i see music with a letter above the musical scale, and sometimes it changes throughout the song. is that letter the key (or scale???) of the current measure(s) that tells you what notes you can play, or if it were a solo, the chords a rhythm guitar would play behind the solo? And this might sound like a spontaneous thought, but does that also determine the notes you can use if you wanted to change it, like if you were improvising onstage? i seem to see that sometimes when a guitarists changes parts of the song so that while it is still recognize, but it has a new twist to it.
i'm studying a lot of the blues pages in here, and on the musical scale they have a slash going through it with letters on top. does that just mean to play the chord of the particular letter?

as you can see, i'm just chock full of questions, so if there's any pages on this site that you could refer me too, even though i've printed out MANY of them. . .

"All I see is draining me on my Plastic Fantastic Lover!"

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

You'll need more pick control (or damping) to play chords that don't use all the strings. Most rock players prefer 5 and 6 string chords because of the full sound anyway.

Moving a chord (or single note, or scale) 12 frets means it's still the same chord, but an octave higher. Remember that open strings are still in the chord - so you could play E this way:

and it would just be a different voicing of E.

The letters above sheet music are usually the chords. If they're in little boxes or circles, they're to mark sections (so a conductor could say "let's take it from six measures after B" and everyone can find that spot).

ReplyQuote