Notifications
Clear all

Thumb Position

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@chrisl)
Topic starter  

I have read now in numerous posts about the proper position of the thumb while playing. Everyone seems to agree that the optimum position is in the middle of the neck of the guitar. However I have both seen artists that I respect and instructors use the thumb for muting while playing rhythm/chords.

For example Troy Stetina teaches in the Beginning Rock Rhythm Guitar that you should use the thumb to mute the 6th string for open A and open C chords (maybe others also I'm only beginning the DVD).

Is this just wrong advice? Is this going to teach me bad habits? To me muting the 6th string while playing these chords makes it easier but I'm open to other's opinion on the subject.

Thanks for a great support forum for beginners also! :)

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

That's what I do for open chords. When you do barre chords you can do the same thing, or you can use the tip of the barring finger instead if you need more leverage from the thumb.

You should try and learn not to hit that string anyway so that you don't get the muted sound along with the chord notes, but the muted sound is better than a note you don't want - especially when you're starting out and concentrating on getting your fingers in the right places :)

But, in a nutshell, it's not a bad habit.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

No, it's NOT wrong advice. It's a perfectly valid technique for certain styles of guitar playing. The legendary country guitarist Merle Travis routinely used his thumb over the neck to not only mute but also to fret notes on the 6th and even 5th strings.

In classical guitar playing, however, this technique is traditionally considered incorrect because the wider neck of classical guitars would tend to force the rest of your hand out of position if you tried to bring your thumb over.

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

My digits are so short I can't come over the neck. So I have to come up with different fingerings.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Basically: Put your thumb where it feels most comfortable. It won't always be up around the neck, it won't always be behind the neck. It changes depending on what you are playing.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

for barre chords my thumb is behind the neck with the tip pointing towards the headstock.
when playing chords the other way...my hand is holding the neck similar to a baseball bat.
my thumb is over the top. my fingers are making the chord (finger position as in F chord. )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@chrisl)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replys guys!

Most of the time my thumb behind the neck in the middle however it is good to know that there are circumstances that having your thumb wrapped around the neck is acceptable.

:)

ReplyQuote