Clear all

too late for sucess

103 Posts
40 Users
0 Likes
13.7 K Views
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

You can NEVER know everything there is about playing guitar. I was reading an article with John Fogerty (If you dont know who he is, I might have to cut your fingers off). Im only 2 years older than you and I know him, but anyways, he was talking about how he'd been playing his whole life and he's just now learning the intricacies (sp?) of the acoustic.

I know the next thing I have to work on....cleaning up my style. I have a very percussive acoustic style, lots of slapping and muting and such The only person I can compare it to is Damien Rice (Irish singer/songwriter) and if I want to learn to play electric, I have to stop beating on my strings and body.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@slydog)
Reputable Member

There's a lot of wisdom here that goes well beyond the guitar. Great stuff.

Blame it on the lies that killed us, blame it on the truth that ran us down.

ReplyQuote
(@sweet-chan)

actually, when kids start on music at a young age, it's usually because of their parents and they lose interest and only do it cuz their parents want them to. i took piano since i was maybe 7 and then quit by 9th grade. didnt really learn anything and many of my friends have the same problem. now i'm 16, almost 17, i picked it up again late last year and started on guitar. music isnt the direction i want to go towards for a career, just a hobby.
you have to want to do it in order to succeed and its never too late to do anything ^-^

ReplyQuote
(@ghost-rider)
Reputable Member

I second that!

Often, it is the small distinctions--the ways good players think about their relationship to music and the instrument--that become the most meaningful in the long run.

~ghost~

8)

"Colour made the grass less green..." 3000 miles, Tracy Chapman

ReplyQuote
(@jadiny)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

true :D

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions small people always do that, but the really great ones make you feel that you too, can become great.

--Mark Twain

ReplyQuote
(@bmxdude)
Estimable Member

Slydog wrote:

Wow thats some meaning full stuff :cry:

"The answer is practice.
Now, what's the question?"
Words by David Mead.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

You can NEVER know everything there is about playing guitar

Yep. Been playing 32 years now, still don't know much and still can't play much. :D And I play everyday.

That is what I love about guitar. It is a challange. It never get's boring. You can always learn more, and there is always room for improvement.

Old or not, I'm gonna play my guitar.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

I plan on playing until the day I die.

Guitar playing reflects life. You can tell a lot about a person by how they play, what they play, how much they practice and how intense they are.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@slydog)
Reputable Member

I told my wife the other day that no matter how much I improve that my skill level always seems to be about six months behind where I wish I was. She said that's where the drive to keep learning comes from. A wise woman.

Blame it on the lies that killed us, blame it on the truth that ran us down.

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Jadiny

Wow you've started something here!

No, you are not too old. I read Clapton's biography recently - although he had a crappy guitar when he was young, he gave up with it for years and only picked it back up later on.

If you're too old at 15....the rest of us are doomed....

Never too old, simple as that

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I knew a guy who started playing when he was thirty-something and he is a pro player now, makes a living at it. (clubs and lessons).I think being able to teach full time qaulifies for succsessful, I can't think of a to many better ways to earn your bread!! 8) 8)

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@reasonableman)
Trusted Member

Hmm another thing to consider is that there are plenty of mediocre guitarists (at least 'skill' wise) that 'made it big'. So you don't even need to be that good to suceed.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

'making it big' means selling a lot of recordings, or convincing a lot of people to buy concert tickets. It's a measure of sales and marketing ability, really, and has nothing to do with anything else...

'making it good' (having the musical ability) has no relation to anyone outside the performer - the world doesn't go looking for good music. It only chooses from what's under its nose.

If you make good music, you still need to find that nose and get under it to be successful :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@djdubb)
Reputable Member

Learning guitar is a marathon, not a sprint.
Thats the best infomation I ever read!

Slydog it must be great to have a woman that supports your playing!

After a long day, when I go an get a soda;my acoustic guitar, and my glass slide, and make up some delta-blues on how my day was; my girlfriend runs for cover. :lol:

Jadiny

Relax, just keep playing, I'm sure everything will be okay, and try not to disrespect the people that's trying to help you, that's not cool at all.

"Failure is the key to success" Lee Wen; Champ vs Champ

ReplyQuote
(@tonedeaf)
Trusted Member

Learning guitar is a marathon, not a sprint.
Thats the best infomation I ever read!

Slydog it must be great to have a woman that supports your playing!

After a long day, when I go an get a soda;my acoustic guitar, and my glass slide, and make up some delta-blues on how my day was; my girlfriend runs for cover. :lol:

Jadiny

Relax, just keep playing, I'm sure everything will be okay, and try not to disrespect the people that's trying to help you, that's not cool at all.
a marathon without a finish line... as in all things, enjoy the journey

ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 7