Skip to content
D Major Barre Chord...

Notifications
Clear all

D Major Barre Chord...am i doing it right?

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@scatterbrain1234)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

-i use the very tip of my index finger to mute the low E string
-the flat part of my index finger covers the A string of the fifth fret
-my ring finger bars the D, G, B strings of the seventh fret

x
x

is it best to keep a slight bend in the index and ring fingers when doing these types of barre chords? because i my fingers tend to straighten out when i do these...thanks!

Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

You're doing it fine.

My index finger bends slightly, my ring finger doesn't. If its comfortable, and works, go for it. My middle finger actually reaches over and mutes the low E, don't even really notice it.

Some people like to use their Pinky and Ring fingers instead of the ring barring the 7th fret.

so starting from High E you'd have (1 being the pointer, 3 the ring finger, 4 the pinky)

-------x--------
-------x--------
-------4--------
-------3--------
-------1--------
-------x--------

This can help with other D forms, such as minor. Or the A major shape.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@armistice)

The ability to do A form barre chords with just your ring finger as the partial barre is a good one - if you have the top E string (playing D) ringing clear, then you've done good.

Try with your index finger muting the bottom (talking pitch, not position) E string by being on top of it, rather than by just extending to it, which is sounds like you're doing - that way when you want to change to an A barre chord at the 5th fret, there's no need to move the barre finger at all, just push down.

Luck

ReplyQuote