Notifications
Clear all

tough time tuning

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@dontfret)
Topic starter  

I'm trying to tune my guitar for the first time with an auto tuner (Ibanez GU30). With my electric guitar, I plugged my cord into the tuner, turn it on and hit the top string (6e). The tuner flashes 3G. Could I be that out of tune that the tuner thinks I'm 3 strings away? I'm having similar problems with other strings. I tried it with the guitar unplugged but I get the same results. Oh, and a real newbie question: if the tuner tells me it sounds like a 3G, do I have to tighten my 6e string or loosen it? And, yes, some of my strings are 20 years old. Thanks.

(@clazon)
Honorable Member

3G -> 6e = A LOT of tightening, yes.

Don't play the string you;re trying to tune too quickly or slowly, make it a nice rhythmic, steady pattern and play one handed so you can constantly tune with the other hand. Tune it up a little and see if the tuner then shows that it recognises what you're doing. If it does, then it's quite possible your top e string really is that out of tune.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

First make sure your tuner is set to 440 Hz. Most tuners will tune from 430-450 Hz. This allows you to tune to instruments that are not exactly concert pitch.

Also, make sure the tuner is set for standard tuning. Some tuners have the ability to tune to a half-step, whole-step, or even one and a half steps below standard tuning. Some tuners show flat symbols in the readout (b). If you for instance have the tuner set for one and half steps below standard (readout may show 3 flats, bbb) tuning which is a C# or Db, then with the string tuned to a real E the readout would show a "G" The tuner only knows the 3rd string as a G, so that is why it is showing the 3. This seems like a real likelihood to me.

If your tuner is set for standard tuning, it would seem almost impossible that the bass E string is tuned down to a G note. The string would be incredibly slack. It is far more likely that the string is too tight and tuned to the G above E. So tune down to the E note.

You did read the manual didn't you? :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@dontfret)
Topic starter  

..thanks. I'll give it a try.

I just replaced the 6e string a few minutes ago but the tuner now recognizes it as 5a or 7b? and sometimes 3g but I can't get it to 6e - I guess I'm a bit closer anyways. Meanwhile my 1e is registering a 4d. I have an acoustic guitar that I just tried and it tuned very easily so it doesn't seem to be a problem with the tuner.

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

I'm confused.

I thought it was 1e and 6E.

I assumed he meant 1e...

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@dontfret)
Topic starter  

thanks guys - I'm getting there. I've got 3 strings replaced and tuned and am now moving on to 3g string. It's taking longer than I thought but I think I've got it down.

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

And, yes, some of my strings are 20 years old. Thanks.
Aside from the sage advice above I'd also be looking at replacing those strings. ;)

If not just for the fact that a whole new set of strings will sound a LOT better.

Also, it is advisable to have a whole set are the same age.

Good luck. :)

EDIT: Ahh, just saw the post you got in before me. :)

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Couple of tips on tuners.

From my experience, it is best to use the bridge pickup to tune by.

Also, before tuning an individual string, rest your fretting hand gently over all strings to mute them. Most tuners will "turn off" in a few seconds and not register anything. This is good, this is what you want.

Now pluck your bass E string once gently. The tuner should register the bass E string only. You should have a few seconds to tune the string to pitch.

Once you have the bass E string, go to the A string. Again, mute all the strings with your fretting hand until the tuner turns off. Then gently pluck the A string once and tune.

Muting all the strings will prevent the tuner from picking up a string you are not trying to tune, something tuners like to do.

Once you have all 6 strings tuned, go through them one at a time again. I always go through all 6 strings in order 3 times. This is to account for the tension of the strings on the bridge and neck. Usually, 3 times through the strings is the charm. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You have a guitar tuner, which recognises standard tuning. The readout that you're getting is telling you which string the tuner thinks it has recognised - 6E, 5A, 4D, 3G, 2B, 1E and how far off your tuning is.
Maybe this article will help you:
https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=440

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

when plugging into a tuner make sure your volume is full up on the guitar.
the tuner likes a big signal.
also, I hit the harmonic on te 12 fret.
the tuner light or needle reads those really well.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Some tuners also have a BASS guitar function, make sure the tuner doesn't accidently get turned on to the bass guitar function, as that would make your life difficult.

Also, be caseful on the High E and the B strings. I've snapped a few because I wasn't paying attention and over-tightened.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote