Clear all

Transposing Keys

12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I've got a question about transposing Keys. I'm going to be playing out on July 4th and there are a few songs that I need to learn. I've got the key of the song and the capo etc, but I was wondering a couple things:

If a song is in G with no capo, chords are G, C, G and it needs to be in the Key of E with a capo on the 3rd fret, do I just use E, A, E and use those same chord shapes? I'm kind of confused on this sort of thing.

Thanks!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Capo up, chord down.

If a song needs to be in the key of E, it's in the key of E no matter where you play it. But you'll use different shapes - and to find those shapes, you just count the half steps.

If you're putting the capo at the 3rd fret, you're raising the sound by three half steps. So you need to lower the fingerings by three half steps - if you would have played an E chord in open tuning, you'd count down three... and you'd play a Db fingering.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Joe, are you sure you've explained it right? If so, then NoteBoat's answer is spot on, but as the chord shapes are going to be Db, Gb, Db, which are barre chords, or at least chords with no open strings, then I'm wondering why you need a capo in the first place. Unless there are other things going on, like runs and fills, etc. the capo is redundant in that situation as you'll have no open strings. If the capo comes comes flying off in the middle of this song then it won't make any difference at all :D.

So I'm wondering if you really mean it has to be in the key of E, or whether you mean it has to be played with capo on 3rd fret but with the shapes associated with the key of E, in which case the shapes would be as you suggested: E A & E.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I think I may have explained it wrong. But my question about it became moot, but the info was good to have anyway.

I contacted the guy to ask him the question as to what he meant because this is an example of what he wanted:

Song:
Sell A Lot of Beer -- Capo 3 E

He got back to me and said that he wanted me to play the E shape, essentially making it a G, which is the key the song is in. But he likes to play with a capo, so I guess I'll be playing something like E, A, E with capo on 3 instead of G, C, G without a capo (I'm talking chord shapes and not actual chords of course) I'm playing acoustic rhythm, so I also wonder if he just wants me to play the E chord for the entire song. Hope he gets back to me soon.

Thanks for the info guys!

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Ah - so I was right :D It's in G but looks like E

I'll go even further and say that he definitely won't want you to play E throughout the whole song.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I'm sorry to be an interloper in this thread, and I know I should ask my teacher about all this (we will get to it) but I just want to see if I understand this quickly...

With the capo at the 3rd fret and an Emaj shape, that is the same as a Gmaj barre chord. The capo can substitute for the barred index finger. Yes?

When GL capoes Sundown @ the 2nd fret and plays Emaj shape, if uncapoed and barred, that would be F#maj?

When Bob Seger capoes Night Moves at the 1st fret and plays G C F C G, he's playing G#maj C#maj F#maj... essentially he's playing everything a half step up, yes? His capoed G#maj looks easier to play (at least for my fingers) than 43111x.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

I'm sorry to be an interloper in this thread, and I know I should ask my teacher about all this (we will get to it) but I just want to see if I understand this quickly...

Yep, from what you've written, you understand it perfectly.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Yep, from what you've written, you understand it perfectly.

Cool! I'm ready to join a band and get up on stage! :lol:

Seriously, thanks. :wink:

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Why not just play the song in the original key and use barre chords when needed? Just a thought.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Why not just play the song in the original key and use barre chords when needed? Just a thought.

I think it has to do with the vocals, I dont' know, for me it's easier to play G C G in the song than E, A, E

But the guy that's getting all this together plays alot of stuff using the capo. These are his words to me.

"I'm just weird that way"

But now that I know what he's wanting the way he wrote it down, I can hopefully figure these songs out since he's given me the starting chord, I should be able to figure out the rest.

ReplyQuote
(@hanging-chord)
Estimable Member

When GL capoes Sundown @ the 2nd fret and plays Emaj shape, if uncapoed and barred, that would be F#maj?

It is F#maj whether he capoes or barres (no difference between the 2) the Emaj shape at fret 2. Other than this slight ambiguity, I think your post is correct.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If it helps, think of a capo as a movable barre.....

With a capo on the 2nd fret, if you play A, Dm7 and E7 chord shapes, what you'll actually HEAR are B, Em7 and F#7 chords, respectively. The capo is especially handy if you want to play something like G (320033) Cadd9 (x32033) and D/F# (200232) chords; you just don't have enough fingers to add those chord shapes on top of a barre, especially when your index finger is already spoken for!

The classic example of a song that can't be played in the right key (well, OK there's no such thing as can't - but it'd be extremely difficult for all but the best guitarists...) is Oasis's "Wonderwall."

The chords used are pretty simple.....

Em7.....022033
Cadd9..x32033
G........320033
Dsus4...200233
A7sus4..x02033

The ring finger is placed on the B string, third fret; the pinky goes on the top E string, also at the third fret. These fingers NEVER move throughout the song - you only have to to worry about moving your index and middle fingers. Pretty simple, huh?? Except - there's one little problem. Those ARE the chord shapes used, which gives the song its distinctive drone - BUT the ACTUAL chords are F#m7, Dadd9, A, Esus4, and B7sus4.

Let's try the first one of those chords - without a capo, you'd have to play 244244. That's just about do-able; barre across the 2nd fret, middle and ring fingers fretting the A and D strings at the fourth fret, and your pinky stretching all the way up to the fifth fret and putting a mini-barre across the B and E strings. Not easy, though, is it?

Whereas, with a capo, you've got the ring and pinky across those top two strings from the start of the song - or, if you're planning even slightly forward, BEFORE you start strumming. I'll leave it to you as to how you'd play the rest of those chords with a barre across the second fret - and when you've unravelled those knotted fingers, maybe you'll realise that, yes, there is a DEFINITE need for every guitarist to own a capo!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote