Clear all

Trem Picking

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone. I have been getting into some surf type music lately (ventures/dick dale type stuff), and I have a question about tremolo picking. The way I do it right now is, with slower speeds, I just use my wrists, and with faster speeds, I lock my wrist, and use my forearm. My question is this: is it a bad habit to kind of rest the side of my hand a little bit behind the bridge on the strings? Should my hand not be touch anything at all? I always anchor my pinky when just picking normal notes (I know, its not a great habit, but its that - a habit), but I don't rest the side of my palm on the strings (unless muting).

I am not sure if when trem picking it is bad to be resting a bit behind the bridge. I do it because it really helps to stabilize my arm, and lets me get less of the pick touching the string, which helps me go faster. Also, it helps so I miss the string less on an up or down (which happens more than I would like). Thanks for clearing this up! :)

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Have a look at D Dale here; you can see some of his technique.

Hope this helps :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mmajn6N2Wc

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I rest my hand exactly as you do. That's not to say it isn't a bad habit, but if it is, you're not alone :)

PS: I tried to learn it from this one, but it didn't work :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Have a look at D Dale here; you can see some of his technique.

Is it mandatory to play upside-down? That is SO weird - lefty guitar but restrung as a regular - you can be the mirror image of Hendrix then...

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I didn't even notice :roll:

I'd guess he learned on an upside-down righty for convenience, then had to change all his lefties when he made it enough to be able to buy convenience... or something :)

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks all! Oh, and yes, first time I saw a Dick Dale video, I didn't really notice his guitar at first, but eventually it kind of hit me - hey - that is stringed upside down! Whatever works I guess :)

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Alright, so let me ask you this - is your arm from your shoulder to your elbow supposed to get really really tired? After a couple minutes, my arm gets tired and I usually have to take a break. I'm not really sure what I am doing wrong though...

ReplyQuote
(@stengah)
Trusted Member

I think that's normal. It's like lifting weights, you will get more used to picking that way over time, and it won't bother you as much after your stamina improves.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Alright, so let me ask you this - is your arm from your shoulder to your elbow supposed to get really really tired? After a couple minutes, my arm gets tired and I usually have to take a break. I'm not really sure what I am doing wrong though...
That comes from having your arm in that position and still for too long, but it does get better. You could try adjusting your strap to sling the guitar lower, although that's going to feel quite odd when you're not trem picking if you're not used to it. You could also try holding out to the left a little (or the right if you're a lefty) so that your right arm is a little straighter. That one definately feels odd. I like my guitar slung low anyway, but when I'm playing sat in front of the computer it can't be any lower than resting on my leg, which is when I get the ache. I often rest it with the bottom contour on my left leg instead of my right just to give my right arm a bit more space.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Turn your pick sideways too. It makes it easier to get the right attack.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advice guys...I'll keep working on it :)

ReplyQuote