tremelo questions

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@thedonutman)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

Ive just bought a Ibanez RG170DX, and i have a few questions about the Tremelo bar

is there any way to prevent going out of tune without getting a Floyd Rose fitted?

is getting a FR fitted possible?

Whats the differance between a 2 point locking tremelo, a locking nut and locking tuners, do the tuners and the nut acchieve the same effect?

Is it possible to do the dimebag harmonic squeals without floyd rose?

sorry if these are stupid questions, im a bassist and therefore totally new to tremelo

thanks,

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I can only answer a part of your question.
locking tuners.
they do not prevent you from going out of tune.
they do make it easier to load a string, secure it, and wind it up to pitch.

my strat plus has an early FR trem, locking tuners, and a roller nut.

the roller nut is nice, although I am limited on the gauge string I can usae. max is 10-46.
I think the roller nut helps with the divebombs, making the trem action smooth and kinkless.

there are several kinds of trems out there. I stopped trying to figure it all out years ago.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@manitou)
Estimable Member

You need a locking nut and a locking bridge. a locking tremelo does one thing only, it doesnt tilt back. Normally a floyd rose can tilt back and this stretches your strings causing them to detune erraticly, if you have any tremelo and it is locking or it sits flush to the body it should stay in tune fairly well. I would like to bludgeon whoever first put a tremelo with no locking nut... leo... Im comin for u!! BUAHAHAHA

SHUT UP ABOUT IRON MAIDEN SOLOS AND GO PRACTICE!
-Manitou

ReplyQuote
(@shred)

hmm what a coincidence! I am most probably going to buy the exact same guitar, and I too was worried about the tremolo since its not a licensed FR. Is the tremolo bearable? And how is the guitar in general ?

Thanks in advance
-Shred

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

shred. which guitar are you thinking of buying?
a strat plus?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@shred)

Ive just bought a Ibanez RG170DX

thats the axe i am talking about.

ReplyQuote
(@thedonutman)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

its a pretty cool guitar, but seeing as im mainly a bassist(and i dont have a guitar amp) i cant really comment on the sound(most guitars sound the same to me) the frets were well dressed and it has nice low action, also it has neck binding and pointy inlays(look very cool)

since its not got a locking nut the tremelo makes it go out of tune, and also the bridge can be set to be floating to you can go up in pitch aswell(which i didnt know until i got it)

hey guys, i have another question about this,

would it not go out of tune when i used the tremelo if i got some locking tuners?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

You need a locking nut and a locking bridge. a locking tremelo does one thing only, it doesnt tilt back. Normally a floyd rose can tilt back and this stretches your strings causing them to detune erraticly, if you have any tremelo and it is locking or it sits flush to the body it should stay in tune fairly well. I would like to bludgeon whoever first put a tremelo with no locking nut... leo... Im comin for u!! BUAHAHAHA

I have a 20-year-old G&L with a non-locking floating trem, no locking nut and non-locking tuners. It's tuning is rock solid through serious up and down whammy-play. Reasons: good tuners, correctly post-wrapped (installed) strings, correctly cut nut, non-binding string guide and well-executed knife edge floating bridge.

Don't need no stinking locking nut! I'd go with locking tuners and proper set-up of nut and string guides any day, before dealing with a locking nut.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@drewsdad)
Estimable Member

If you lightly lubricate the nut, string tree(s) and saddles even a cheap chinese strat copy like mine will stay decently in tune, and it has really cheap tuners. You have to give the strings a chance to settle back into position, just use light oil or grease on the string tree(s) and saddles, graphite on the nut. Now if you're really yanking on it and stretch the strings, there really isn't much you can do to prevent that, floyd or no floyd.

Life's journey can be hard at times, but you have to realize that you are the only one with the power make it a worthwhile experience.

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

A knife edge bridge is a must!!!

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I'm with Greg (Gnease), I hate locking nuts. They are nothing but a pain in the you know what. And they really do not keep your guitar in tune any better. But wait till you break a string at a gig.

HEY, ANYBODY SEEN MY ALLEN WRENCH?? :(

When a guitar is new, the strings tend to hang up at the nut. But if you use your tremelo bar often, the nut will wear and the strings will slide back to tune. It is important to have 2 or 3 wraps around the tuning posts on the bass strings, and 3 to 5 wraps on the treble strings.

One little trick if your guitar goes out of tune while playing, just pull hard on each string, like you are doing bends. You can pull the strings back in tune and nobody will notice.

A good little lube for the nut is simple pencil lead. Just rub the tip in the nut slots. Works great, but you will get some black fingertips at first. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote