Clear all

triple stops

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@midway-man)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

OK, I've got a dumb question. I'd like to know the definition or what exactly constitutes double or triple stops? like most things I'm sure I play them But I'd like to know why they ar called what they are, in musical terms??? THANX!!!

"You can drive a song or you can make it sit still."

(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

Hmmm. A doublestop is two notes played at the same time. Most common combination is a root and it's 5th. This is commonly known as a "powerchord" when played on the bass strings. When it's played on the high strings they are more often called doublestops or just "intervals". Other common note combinations that might be played might be root and b3, suggesting a minor chord, root and 3 implying a major chord. In jazz, guitarists might play the 3 and b7, implying a dom7 chord (bass plays the root).

A triplestop however, is a term I've never heard, though it may exist. 3 different notes would simply be a "chord", so the terminology makes no sense for that. It might be used when only 2 notes are played, as in a doublestop, but on 3 strings.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@midway-man)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

THANX, Dude thas what I wanted to know. It's amazing how simple thing can be when ya ask the right questions & get a compedant anser!!! THANX again.

"You can drive a song or you can make it sit still."

ReplyQuote
(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member

when ur talking about triplestops tho it 3 string being involved not the notes so like open chords,barre chords wouldnt be triple stops

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

ReplyQuote
(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member

when ur talking about triplestops tho it 3 string being involved not the notes so like open chords,barre chords wouldnt be triple stops

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I've never heard the term 'triple stops' - three or more strings make up chords.

The term 'double stop' comes originally from violin. A violin's fingerboard is curved (so the bow will clear the strings you don't want). But by angling the bow the right way, you can play notes on two adjacent strings, and violinists called those double stops.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

The term 'double stop' comes originally from violin. A violin's fingerboard is curved (so the bow will clear the strings you don't want). But by angling the bow the right way, you can play notes on two adjacent strings, and violinists called those double stops.
Oh! Thank you for that explanation, Noteboat. I had difficulty just accepting the term "double stop", which seemed to beg the question "why" every time I saw it. Now I know "the rest of the story" and can stop being annoyed by the term "double stop"! :)

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote