Notifications
Clear all

Trying to learn more

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@gibby6117)
Topic starter  

Hello to all and I would appreciate any advice that you pros might give. I have been playing a flat top Gibson on and off for 40 yrs mostly off and all I know are the most of the main chords on the 1st three frets. I just baught a Gibson electric and I am commited to learning to play and I want to get pretty damn good at it and I talked to one teacher a young fellow and he told me that I was really to old to get really good and I am age 64. any comments would be appreciated and I want to learn to read music and play lead on a lot of old country songs.
Thanks

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

...... I talked to one teacher a young fellow and he told me that I was really to old to get really good and I am age 64. ....

HOGWASH!! You prolly won't be the next Guitar God but who cares. Find another instructor :)

Good for you for picking it back up again.... Keep on Rockin!!! GRAMPS!!!! :) :) :D :D :D

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Find another instructor :)

Toss the punk in a trash can first; then find another instructor.

8)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

You're never too old.

Here is a great start to wrapping your mind around some notation.

Your Very Own Rosetta Stone - A Guide To Reading Musical Notation - Part One

You'll also find that you CAN in fact learn a lot on your own. If you need any help, you found us once..... :wink:

Welcome to guitarnoise

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I seem to recall a teacher posting on here a couple years back about having a guitar student who was something like 85 years old. If you want to learn, you're way ahead of a lot of kids whose parents drag 'em in!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I am commited to learning to play and I want to get pretty darn good at it and I talked to one teacher a young fellow and he told me that I was really to old to get really good and I am age 64.

I hope you flipped him off. That's the biggest load of (insert appropriate silly and needless profanity here) I've heard in a while. If you have the cowboy chords down already you're already ahead of the game. This site's a really good place to start. Just hit the lessons page and see what tickles your fancy.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@rmorash)
Estimable Member

Well, it certainly seems like your instructor is rather full of himself. I wonder how many students have been derailed by that dismissive attitude. If I were you I'd have told him then and there where to park his guitar and found myself a new instructor. Another alternative would be to hook up with a local bluegrass and old country music society (I did last week for the first time and had a blast even though I'm not really into old time country music). You'll meet a ton of people with similar musical interests and learn way more than you thought possible. Even though I knew virtually nothing about a lot of the songs, people were helpful and friendly - definitely no shortage of talent.

ReplyQuote
(@gibby6117)
Topic starter  

Hey you guys thanks for the encouragement . I am looking forwARD to talking to all of you again .

Gil in Chatta. the old guy.

ReplyQuote