Tuition

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@amnesia)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi there...

I'm not really a beginner, but am ALWAYS learning.

I've been playing around 2 years and you can see my equipment below.

I like playing Acoustic for rhythm etc - when there are no other instruments playing with me (apart from maybe a drum kit and/or another guitar).

I've been asked to Accompany my friend as she sings. Which is fine, as this will take me along another learning curve (because I've never done it before).

Around a month ago I bought myself an Epiphone Sheraton II, which is so much easier to play than my Acoustic. I've been learning a few riffs, such as Eric Clapton (one of my biggest influences), Guns N Roses etc... To get used to the guitar.

However, I find I can learn another song/bit of solo/riff but tend not to learn anything.

I was wondering if there is any good CDs/Tuition Magazines/Books out there that would be worth getting, that could teach me some soloing, a bit of lead, some rhythm. To build on the basics, give me the scope to do either Rhythm or Lead and continue to progress.

I'm not wanting to bang out a load of power chords (such as Blink or Greenday) as I don't find their guitar work impressive enough.

I hope you know where I am coming, and I have already done a search, and there wasn't much that benefitted me.

Thanks for your help!

Amnesia

//--Amnesia--

Gutiars: Sheraton II | Yamaha APX-7A | Taylor 510CE-LTD
Equipment: Hiwatt 40 Amp | Switch Pedal | Zoom 200 FX Pedal
Piano: Roland 236

(@alangreen)

An hour in your local guitar shop will throw up countless CD/DVD's and books on how to play lead and rhythm. The problem is sorting out the decent stuff.

Go for something by somebody you've heard of, and if you can check out some reviews online before you go searching so much the better. As a general guide, Troy Stetina writes the best stuff on the planet for lead guitar, but there's not so much difference between everybody when it comes to rhythm.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@amnesia)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

And what sort of style will Troy Stetina teach? Or will it give me the grounding to develop and become my own lead?

Thanks
Amnesia

//--Amnesia--

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Troy Stetina's best known book is "Speed Mechanics For Lead Guitar"

It doesn't teach styles; but there's no point being able to play lead guitar if all you want to do is accompany Britney or Eminemineminem

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@amnesia)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

HAHAHAHA!
Of course that's not what I'm looking to learn for.

I just didn't want to be restricted to only being able to play uberly heavy rock leads etc.

I want to be able to lead on my electric, and on my acoustic... I'm greedy :)

//--Amnesia--

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

"Speed Mechanics for the Lead Guitar" is for advanced lead players.
It contains some of the most wicked lead excercises know to guitarists :)
I would advise you to find it at you local book store and go through a few of the excerices there before spending 20 some bobs.

Check out his "Total Rock" book. It contains information that can be applied to acoustic as well.
However, the book is geared towards metal/rock lead playing ...

Also, you won't find one good book that will teach you all the aspects of guitar playing (lead, theory, rhythm etc ...)
You may have to invest in a few different ones.

Cheers,
Vic

P.S You can find a listing of Troy's books here http://www.stetina.com/lessons.html

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote